• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

50 CAL RB FOR BLACK BEAR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I "hunted" bear with a 50 rb, never shot one, but wasn't worried about it,,,long as I took a good shot, a 50 would do it's job..my dad got one with his 54..think shot placement is the key....OR Plan B,,,, buy another gun,(only bigger...still need shot placement!!)! don't hurt to have two! (58's are nice,,, :haha:) :hatsoff:

I do hunt black bear with a .50 cal using a PRB. Now, have I shot a bear with the same? Not so lucky in that department as I have yet to get a shot on one. That said, I am perfectly confident about the load doing its job.

I've seen bear dropped with .243's to my .58 RB not to mention arrows, good shot placement is key. I've also tracked bear wounded with 30-06 (on more than one occasion). Bear is a close range still shot typically, there really is no excuse not to take your time, wait for the right angle and put the shot in the boiler.

Bear is a close range still shot typically, there really is no excuse not to take your time, wait for the right angle and put the shot in the boiler.

Absolutely. I have shot 3 bears with a .50 flintlock, using PRB and 80 gr. of powder. The largest was 500 lbs. BB are not as tough as whitetails and will go down quickly with a well placed shot.

Back