• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.50 smoothie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadeye

54 Cal.
Reaction score
TVMsmoothbore-1.jpg

For awhile I've been wanting a small caliber lightweight smoothie to pack around the hills and be able to shoot whatever. I found some parts at Jack Garner's TVM that was just what I was looking for. Easiest gun I ever built. Plain maple so I stained it dark, weights 6 lbs. 2 oz.
shoots .490 balls like a rifle and 3/4 oz of shot better than a full choked 410. For an old guy like me looking for something light to pack it's perfect. I'm happy!

That is one fine looking gun!!!
I have a hard time, to figure the purpose of a .50 smoothie, especially here in Canada.
But you have just proved a valid reason.
Some more pictures, would be great...especially up close with a tape measure opened beside it :v :v
Once again "NICE GUN"
Old Ford

Nice gun, those small smoothies can sometimes really handle ball well.

You said it is perfect for an old guy like you but I do believe that gun would be perfect for anyone. I really like the plain yet personal style. Hope it serves you well! :thumbsup:

This is a wonderfull looking smoothie, I ain't trying to burst anyone's bubble but the NMLRA rules for smoothbore are .54 and larger. I shoot a TVM .54 that looks just like this except for 12 years wear! If you do not plan to shoot any NMLRA events there is no problem. For what you posted
it is a perfect gun.
:thumbsup:

That is nice! I once did a little study of smooth rifles and was surprised to find many were rather small caliber, even down to .40. I wondered what such a small bore smoothbore would be good for. It sounds like your .50 would be a fine gun for the woodlands, thank you.

When you stop and think about what a woods bum's gun is really used for most of the time--small game--the small bore smooth bore really shines. Same for a traditional trekker. Less weight in the gun, less weight in the ammunition, it makes a lot of sense. For year round use, shot is used much more often than patched ball. At least that has always been my experience. :thumbsup:

Not if the barrel is made in proportion to the bore. All too many of today's barrels are bored from blanks that are too heavy. For example, many fowler kits are designed as 20 gauge guns. If you order a 24 or 28 gauge kit, you get the same exact barrel only with a smaller hole in the barrel. This adds a lot of unnecessary weight and spoils the balance of the fowler.

many of the originals in the RCA books show the proportion of the barrel thickness and the bore size, I have thought that this may give a clue as to whether the gun is an original smoothbore or a reamed out one.

They may be fairly hefty at the breech, but the originals I've seen are quite thin at the muzzle. Certainly not as heavy walled as some of today's barrels are. And these original fowlers are light and balance sweetly.
Years ago I had a 28 gauge fowler of 1740s New England style. It had a 44" barrel and weighed maybe 6 pounds. I carried it often and over long distances with no great effort. Wish I could get that one back!

I love this gun. It balances and handles so well.
As light as it is (just over 6 lbs.)it could have been lighter. The barrel thickness at the muzzle measures .114 while my 12 ga.double only measures .050, my .20 Fucil .055 and an old 1810 contract musket measures .057. I shot about 50 balls and several 3/4 oz. shot capsules today.It's hard to miss anything with it.
I was surprized in reading Flintlock fowlers and Rifles of colonial America how many ,45 to .55
smoothbores there was, many more than I expected.
Thanks everyone for your comments. I appreciate them.
Deadeye

Back