• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.50 smoothie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GRZROB, Most of the places I compete with smoothbores don't care what caliber I use.
My competition gun is a .62 and it's won a lot of shoots but this little gun, I believe, will outshoot it at 25 and 50 yds. maybe not at 100 and farther. Sometimes we've had targets as far as 200, there I'll use my .62.
thanks,Deadeye

CJ, my walk around gun was a .45 Southern Mt.about 6 lbs. We have a lot of grouse up high and chuckers down lower so I started thinking about a light double duty gun. Wasn't thinking about it for a deer gun but the load I've settled
on is 70 grs. 3F and that's giving the .490-177 gr. ball 1650 fps. so it should be adequate for Deer at 50 yds. or so if I had to use it for that.
thanks, Deadeye

Sniper, I believe there is but why would anyone want to? Rifled barrels are available in this same size for anyone who wanted a similar rifled gun.

I use a stain from Wampum Chemical co. in North Carolina. It comes in brown and a red and will penetrate deep into the stock. John Bivens recommended it to me as this is what he used on his stocks. It takes several coats to make it that dark.

Deadeye said:
I use a stain from Wampum Chemical co. in North Carolina. It comes in brown and a red and will penetrate deep into the stock. John Bivens recommended it to me as this is what he used on his stocks. It takes several coats to make it that dark.
THANKS!

Ricky, I gave you some wrong info. It's Wampler chemical co. Harrisonburg, Va,and it's called Superstain walnut #55 and Superstain red mahogany #45. I haven't bought any for awhile, it's sold by the gallon.

Latest posts

Back