• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.527 Ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speed Trap

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Anybody shoot a .527 ball in their .54, and if so, is there much difference in this and say the .530.

Thanks

I use them occasionally. As ball diameter decreases but everything else stays the same accuracy also decreases. My rifles prefer .535 ball with ticking patch. When I go to .530 groups open up and they open up even more with .527.

HD

I shoot a .526 in my 54. I use .015 spit patching. It loads easy and I don't need a short starter. My muzzle is coned to make it easier to start. My barrel is a Getz with round bottom grooves.

Many Klatch

Huntin Dawg said:
I use them occasionally. As ball diameter decreases but everything else stays the same accuracy also decreases. My rifles prefer .535 ball with ticking patch. When I go to .530 groups open up and they open up even more with .527.

HD

That is my experience too.

IMHO, a .527 ball with a real thick patch might shoot well and load fairly easily, depending on the barrel. Regardless of what ball diameter one uses, the patch needs to be thick enough to fill the grooves.

If your barrel mics .54 with .010 deep rifling, you will need at least at .023 thick patch just to fill the grooves, and .028 patch to give adequate compression to provide a good burn of the powder.

Try 'em with different thickness' of patching and different lubes. Make only one change at a time, so you know what works and what doesn't.

God bless

I use a .525 and a .010'' lubed patch in my eastern tenn poorboy rifle. Is easy to load and accurate to shoot. I like it. A PRB has not always to be rammed into the barrel to be accurate.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Latest posts

Back