• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

54 Cal Bowie Knife...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtharney

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Did anybody catch the Wild West Tech on the History Channel last night? They showed a 54 cal single shot with a 9-11 knife bade attached under the barrel. Explaining it was popular with miners for protection. I'm not sure where you would keep the thing without shooting/stabbing yourself.

Mike

I didn't get to see that one. I have seen "cutlass pistols" that were supposed to be intended for shipboard use. I don't remember anything about a holster/sheath combination being used. I wonder just how sharp the blades were kept on these though? I can't see the logic in it myself. I'd just rather have a separate blade in a hidden sheath instead of putting my "eggs in one basket", so to speak...

Wearing one of those in a sash around the waist could possibly lead to someone becoming a soprano instead of a baritone--if you follow my drift...

The History Channel tends to editorialize. These combo arms were not all that popular; in fact, few were used, although I believe there are recorded instatences of 49ers using them. The US even had one made for sea service, the Eglin cutlass/pistol. This combining of a pistol/knife/sword is not anything new, I've seen flintlock combos, often w/ what's called a hunting sword. I've always wondered how they load them w/o cutting a finger or two :g .

Back