• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

54 cal. flinter barrel in 15/16"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Walks with fire said:
I was wondering if Track of the Wolf could be persuaded to purchase a lot of 50 barrels or list such a barrel on their GM barrel page. They list accepting orders for other barrels that they don't have in stock. The problem with Green Mountain is that not many people know about contacting the company directly. Hundreds of people probably look at barrels on the Track site.

Does anyone have a relationship with the owner or manager of Track?
That's not a bad idea...

You could build your own. Track lists GM blanks and TC plugs that will work, but when it was all said and done it would cost you more than the $100 sale smoothbore and Ed Rayl's work.

Track of the Wolf has everything needed to make a replacement barrel. Since T-C uses a patent breech, i.e. the touch hole is in the breechplug, you can use any of the barrels they sell, not only Green Mountain. For a fee they will put it all together. Ask them for a quote, I think it will run around $250.

-WH-

The price to have them build a drop-in barrel is more like 400.00 bucks. Not worth 400 bucks to go from a .50 to .54 caliber for your own stock.

The price of the barrel; sights, under rib, pipes, shorten and crown the barrel; then you brown it etc. It all adds up; the gunsmithing charges would be over 100 bucks itself. Heck; you could buy a whole kit for a little more.

I'd be interested in another one so i can get this one jugchoked. I didnt know it at the time but i must have lucked into one of the last ones they made last time around. Mine is getting modified to fit my GPR though, and this one would have to be also.

Bringing it back to the top ,seeing if any more interest in the barrels made from GM or if there is any more info from the last time the thread was made..Ray

RB,Can you shoot me her number I will call tomorrow.I also see TOTW is accepting orders for the 15/16 flint .54 also,not too sure if it always was up there just happened to look at it tonight..Ray

Fish, GM's # is on their web site...I think Kerri's extension is #18...should be listed there as well

This post is not to suggest that we shouldn't try to get a 'run' of barrels made by TC but because I didn't see him discussed elsewhere,I simply thought I'd mention that in the Links there is a link to Dennis McCandless' website. He does custom breeching for almost anything it seems. I haven't called him to ask specifically what it would cost to have him fit a GM barrel with all the 'fixings' to drop in to a TC stock, but it looks like he would be more likely to do it than anyone else I've contacted.
Anyone know him or know about his work?
Just wondering.

Mtn. Rifle

That's a good tip...and also, barrel maker Ed Rayl in West VA would make one as well.

Just remembering that the original kernel of this thread was for a 15/16" x .54cal drop-in barrel for the regular size TC Hawken stock...I thought I'd at least mention that TC already makes a 1" x .54cal round ball barrel for the larger size Hawken stock, and they also fit the Renegade's 1" barrel bed as well.

Called Kerri this morning and left a message to just email the info back.Here is what she said doesn't sound to promising.Ray

"Ray,
I just received your message. Right now I only have 5 names on my list of people that would want them. I would need quite a few more before I could go to my manager and suggest doing a run. But I haven't given up so we'll have to wait and see. As far as a .62 cal smoothbore barrel we only did them in a 1" barrel and I no longer have those in stock. Those have been discontinued. "

Thank You,
Kerry Smith
Sales
Green Mountain Rifle Barrel
603-447-1095 ext.18
[email protected] www.gmriflebarrel.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonder if you could reply to her mail and ask if she could contact TOW, Cainsoutdoor, etc, as they each might have a few names unknown to one another...or...maybe Emails to TOW and Cains asking them to contact her might be better...dunno

what loadings wouild you all use in a 15/16 gmb? what would be max powder charge/ patch thickness etc?

thumper50 said:
what loadings wouild you all use in a 15/16 gmb? what would be max powder charge/ patch thickness etc?

The only answer I'll give you about what to use is this: "operate within GM's recommended guidelines"

I'll also tell you if I had a GM .54cal x 15/16" rifled barrel I'd personally use up to 120grn Goex 2F without hesitation if I wanted to.

When I get my bbl I was thinking 80-100 goex 2f or 3f. I'll see what GM recommends! Thanks

Some more info.....

"Kerry,thanks for the reply.Another thing I was thinking are any of the suppliers such as Track of the wolf,Cain/s or Petaconica taking orders also ? I was on the TOTW site and they were accepting orders ,are these among the 5 names? Hard to believe we are the only 5 who want one.Have you contacted these suppliers or should we shoot them emails to get a run going..Just throwing some ideas out there..LOL”¦Thanks Ray?

"At this time I do not have them on my list. The only thing I can think of with Track is they may being making some out of our blanks. I do not know. The 5 on my list are just the people that had e-mailed me with a yes after Bill had done his post. I'll have to check with them to see if they would be interested in ordering some barrels. Kerry "

Good work Fish...can't help but get the impression that we're more interested in their potential business customers than they are.
Particularly in these economic times, you'd think after hearing from us a couple times they'd take some sort of pro-active initiative to start beating the bushes to see if they could get a business opportunity going on these barrels.

And just a reminder, for those who want a caplock version, they still had some .54cal x 15/16" caplock "smoothbores" on clearance for $100...then $65 for Ed Rayl to add the rifling and you've got your rifled 15/16" .54cal drop-in, and for a lot less money than GMs new ones will cost if they ever make any more

Back