• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

54 cal impact on steel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Muzzleloaders shoot differently but my .54's all seem to like about 80 grains of 2Fg powder for their most accurate work.

You might give it a try before you drop your loads down to 60 grains. :)

That could be, I've settled on 90 grains of 2F Goex in my Douglas barreled .54 as the best accuracy load. It's in the same neighborhood. Mike D.

Hmmm... Thinkin' the same powder imparts the same energy to the projectile. The velocity will be what it will be for the given mass.

Yes, in a power formula velocity is cubed as a function compared to weight but the power is defined by the stored energy in the propellent and translated into the component parts of the formula. A little velocity goes a long way but needs alot of powder to make a significant velocity change.

"What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?" "Do you mean African or European swallow?" :stir: :blah:

Captjoel said:
"What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?" "Do you mean African or European swallow?" :stir: :blah:

Especially on the fifth day of the fifth month when the earth rotation reverses for an hour. :youcrazy: :blah: :rotf: :rotf:

I never heard of a power formula that cubes the velocity.

I know the ft/lbs of energy formula squares the velocity but I learn new things all the time here on the forum. :)

buck and ball said:
The steel target was at 75 yards. The Ball simply splattters .Sometimes you can find a small piece on the ground .Looks like a very thin wafer

somewhere on the PC is a slow motion film of ball hitting steel .You can see the ball going from round to flat and splattering in all directions like powder.
That's been my experience as well...all my caliber PRBs dent soft steel.
I have one steel hanger plate that was made out of a scrap piece of special steel like that used in armor plating and PRBs just leave a gray splash mark on it.

That's been my experience as well...all my caliber PRBs dent soft steel.
I have one steel hanger plate that was made out of a scrap piece of special steel like that used in armor plating and PRBs just leave a gray splash mark on it.

Typical experience. Most individuals and clubs make their steel targets from whatever scrap is available. Can't blame them. New steel from a supplier is very expensive, especially certain grades.
Hang properly and observe other safety measures (eye protection, etc.). Doing so will allow a lot of great shooting fun safely and cheaply.

You're right about people thinking they need a conical to kill deer-size animals. I tell them that Redcoats were deer-size animals. :thumbsup:

I've been hit with splatter coming straight back. It has to do with the shape of the steel target. Imagine shooting at a snowplow blade.

Once you dent the steel or crater it, you have a U-shape that send bits of lead back at you.

Black Jaque said:
I've been hit with splatter coming straight back. It has to do with the shape of the steel target. Imagine shooting at a snowplow blade.

Once you dent the steel or crater it, you have a U-shape that send bits of lead back at you.

I had to look back to see what I said. I actually said a lot. :shocked2:
But, I did say
a crater can send detrius straight back
. Yep.

Here's a disc I shot with my 42" Colerain barrel with 100 grns of ffg. A clean pass through at 25 yards.

Back