• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

54 cal vs. 50 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The .54 round ball carries 27% more mass than a .50

BUT, I have killed whitetail with both and the .50 has dropped a buck for me that collapsed where he stood. My favorite is the .54, but I like the .50 and don't feel undergunned with it.

IMHO the .54 will do everything a .50 will, plus a margin of added energy.

Here is what you are looking at. The gun on the top is a 54 cal Lyman. The other is a TC with a GM barrel. By far and away the TC is my choice between the two. That said the Lyman can be made to shoot as well as the TC does. It just takes a little tweaking.

IMG_2026.jpg

My favorite guns until my last home built. Both are TC Hawken's with GM barrels. The flintlock also has the very good Davis trigger. A must on a Lyman and a nice upgrade for a TC but not really necessary.

IMG_4795-1.jpg

I like the 54 cal but the 50 is probably a better all around choice. For one thing you can usually find round balls and patches at Bass Pro or Cabela's commonly.

Latest posts

Back