• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

54 Cal ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you know approximately what getting a Hoyt bbl may cost? I know Lyman wants about $280 for their 54cal left handed flintlock bbl.

I can confirm the efficacy of a .45 prb on deer. I've had several drop in their tracks and the ones that didn't never went far. Only one shot was ever needed and was always placed in the heart/lung area. Lethality of a .45 prb is right up there with a 30/30 in my experience.

2_Tall said:
Mooman76 said:
I would just stick with the 50. Going up to 54 will only be a little heavier. Now if you saw a good deal or you really have your mind set on it then why not. I did like the extra barrel idea. I have a Cabelas Hawkin and it's nice to be able to switch between 50 and 58.
Actually a 54 caliber in a GPR is going to be lighter since the 50 and 54 are both 15/16 barrels. Just saying less metal equals lighter weight and the 54 GPR balance better as well.
I just bought a 54 GPR flinter, so the 50 and 54 bbl's are interchangeable? that would be perfect I can now get a 50 GPRH bbl to shoot no lead conicals here in Cali, since I didn't see any Non-lead 54 bullets.

The only deer that I have seen drop in their tracks, have been neck or head shots, and those I shot with a .62 RB maximum load. All the other deer shot with 45, 50, and 54 have ran off farther than they usually go when I shoot them with a longbow and 2 blade steel or flint head. I'd say 75-100 yards on average. In January, I shot a large doe with a 69 cal smoothbore musket, with 90 gr. 2f and a .662 patched ball. The ball hit the center of the heart, and broke the off leg. The deer ran over 75 yards.

All things being equal; I would rather use a 54 over a 50, in case of a less than perfect hit. The 54 does more damage.

Yes a 50 and a 54 caliber GPR barrel are interchangeable as long as they are both for a right or both left handed gun, or both flint or percussion barrels (would still fit without the lock on).

2_Tall said:
Yes a 50 and a 54 caliber GPR barrel are interchangeable as long as they are both for a right or both left handed gun, or both flint or percussion barrels (would still fit without the lock on).
SaWeet! I was hoping I could do that, but was originally thinking I would have to stay in same caliber. Just gotta love CA's wonderful gun & hunting laws, cause we gotta protect those condors.

Yeah my buddy talked me into coming into Cali and fish a bass tournament I couldn't grasp no lead in fishing lures it boggled my kind, and tungstuns expensive.

No magic, just statistical probability. While at least half of ALL ML deer I've killed, that dropped DRT, were hit near the spine or neck bone - all these were accidental when the deer twitched at the pull of the trigger; I never aim for either the neck or spine - I've had deer drop in their tracks with heart/lung hits from .45, .50, 54 and .600 prbs.

I place the shot behind the shoulder with a .495 ball with 80 gr Goex FFg. Only a couple dropped, the rest ran off, and most of them left no blood trail. If all of your deer drop with your .45, then don't change anything. Everyone has different experiences hunting, which is what the person base their decisions on which caliber and load to use.

All and all you like what your used to. I don't think shooting eastern white tails you need any thing bigger then your .50, and as Rifleman points out .45 will kill well with good shot placement. Outside of a spine or brain shot any deer even a dead one can wonder a bit, and bigger balls won't change that. As to shooting salt pellets and such I've found just picking out flints will cause deer to come out of the woods shaking their heads saying they surrender.Deer know all about flint locks :rotf:

Latest posts

Back