• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 CVA Express Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm obviously missing something.
You are missing the understanding that the laws are not necessarily logical particularly without insight to the time and place. šŸ˜
In all likelihood the laws were passed with the intention of restricting the season to traditional single shot iron sighted firearms. The issue arises as most hunters seem to see it as a way to extend the season and nothing more. However people are clever and it did not take long before we come up with scoped up in lines. Just look at how archery has changed over the last century to see how we can alter the traditional to suite our whims.
:doh:
From another perspective the mainstream firearms industry has taken the Muzzle Loader season as a green light to develop another market for the latest greatest. Thankfully we do not have to abide by the mainstream firearms industries bidding.

I'm reading through this thread and wondering why a state would not allow muzzleloading double rifles to be used during their muzzleloading season. Maybe I missed something.
This little beauty is illegal, but a stainless steel, plastic stocked rifle loaded up with a plastic-sabot rifle bullet over a few "sugar-cubes" of some kind of propellant with a 12 power riflescope mounted on it...is legal for muzzleloader season..??
I think that is because it is 2 shots instead of the traditional one shot.
And I agree with you that the unmentionable "in-lines" should be banned from traditional hunting seasons.

I'm reading through this thread and wondering why a state would not allow muzzleloading double rifles to be used during their muzzleloading season. Maybe I missed something.
This little beauty is illegal, but a stainless steel, plastic stocked rifle loaded up with a plastic-sabot rifle bullet over a few "sugar-cubes" of some kind of propellant with a 12 power riflescope mounted on it...is legal for muzzleloader season..??
Trying to use logic or intelligent thought to understand game dept. rules & regs is a fool's errand. Nearly every state has a buffoon writing the rules.

Such as: i have to make a choice between muzzleloading and firearms seasons. I can hunt with a black powder rifle or pistol OR i can hunt with my Walker or a .44 Super Blackhawk or a shotgun or a .45-70 during the ā€œfirearmsā€ season. But i canā€™t do both.

And i called DNR Friday - the Express is legal in Iowa.

don

Your LUCKY to be able to shoot Double or Single M/L's at any thing that moves in Season.. We had to hang up our Game Rifles years ago. Just as I had nearly finished my M/H .45" barrelled Walnut Stocked, Brazier locked Rifle with a Single set which has a Safe carry Second 1/2 cock a few thou. above the Cap. Not even supposed to shoot Squirrels or Shushys with M/l's. OLD DOG

I think double rifles are not allowed in the PA muzzle loading season, but may be in the regular rifle season. Do other states allow double rifle muzzle loaders in their black powder season?
Our state allows anything (or copies) , single or double, minimum 35 cal. any sight, produced before 1900. This allows a break action 35 Whelan with a 3x9 scope. Not exactly a primitive weapon.

I should have mentioned, in Arizona, a double barrel muzzle loading gun is legal to use for deer hunting if the hunt is during the regular rifle season. It's only illegal during the Muzzleloading season.

Your LUCKY to be able to shoot Double or Single M/L's at any thing that moves in Season.. We had to hang up our Game Rifles years ago. Just as I had nearly finished my M/H .45" barrelled Walnut Stocked, Brazier locked Rifle with a Single set which has a Safe carry Second 1/2 cock a few thou. above the Cap. Not even supposed to shoot Squirrels or Shushys with M/l's. OLD DOG
It is sad.
I look at what happens in the States sometimes a little envious. I forget that I can still have and use rifles and others cannot.

Greetings, All, hereā€™s the range report (over probably several posts)...

Bwana took this lion rifle out twice. Iā€™ll add the photos at the end which speak for themselves. First, yesterdayā€™s target was shot with the last of our .530 balls. Looks okay, shooting high.

Today she shot the only thing we had left which was the .535ā€™s i got for shooting the hyper-accurate .56 SB. Hard to load, had to use t-shirt material cleaning patches for patching. She likes seating the ball and cutting off the excess! Started out with 70 g of ffg, graduated to 80g right away. All good at 15 yds so went to 25. Still good but still way too high. I thought backward and raised the rear sight at first before realizing my mistake. Some firearms instructor!

Went to 50 yds and left the paper! Shooting clear over the top. Went forward to 35 yards and dropped the rear sight as low as it will go. When we got home, i filed diwn the top of the rear sight abt 1/16ā€ and weā€™ll go out tomorrow. When i see how close we are, i may have to ā€œtake more off the topā€ but then find a very narrow file and deepen the notch. I have a plan to put each barrel right into the x ring as well - if it works iā€™ll get more photos out tomorrow.

Have a good night.

don 3CDA0090-FB06-4AA1-BA82-43B83C12C44D.jpegACE89684-2CA2-4488-AD52-5C934E4727F9.jpeg14EAD22A-296D-4101-984F-3B8F023565BC.jpeg9CD2C18E-8842-4482-AD47-6CA706B97E9D.jpeg

Before you take too much off any sight get your load developed. Then and only then change your sights.
šŸ˜
I would be more inclined to just hold a fins bead or get a higher front sight than play too much with the back unless you replace the adjustable sight with a low fixed.

Also if you want to differentiate between left and right barrel put some lippie on the bullet from one side or different colours for each barrel

Decent DB groups, but the center mass of each group seems to be opening the farther out you go. I hate to say it, but more powder may be needed to get the bullet out before the respective barrel recoil takes effect - or a lighter projectile (but not likely since your shooting RB).
Good luck, lots of fun.

Back