• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 CVA Mt. Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rogue River

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm looking for a CVA Mt Rifle in .54 cal. I don't recall ever seeing one in that cal. Did they make one? Thanks

I haven't seen any of these rifles in a long time, but I put together a CVA kit for a friend of mine in the late 70's when the Mountain Rifle first came available. It was a .54 cal rifle, and shot very well. Our local club fell apart shortly after this and I haven't seen any of these rifles for a while.
Roger Sells

They made the Big Bore Mountain Rifle in .54 and .58. They had a 1" barrel as opposed to the 15/16" barrel for the regular Mountain Rifle. They also had no capbox.

The majority I have seen over the years have been .58 but have seen a few in .54. Keep an eye on the For Sale parts of forums and the auction sites. They show up every once in a while.

The 54 and 58 were the "Big Bore" mt rifles and were spanish made(no usa barrels on these) and no patch box.
I have never heard any down sides about them.
I dont know why, but I want a .58!
They raise their heads every now and again, so keep your eyes open and your cash ready!

One of my hunting pards has the 58, and his performs so well it launched the rest of us on quests for 58's of our own. None of us have crossed paths with another CVA, picking up others instead. And yeah, with four 58's in my rack right now I'd still jump on a CVA if I found one, as would my other hunting pards. It's a fine rifle.

Like others, I've never heard anything bad about the CVA Mountain Rifle. I think they are the best rifle CVA ever made. You can still find them on sites like Gunbroker and Auction Arms. Good luck in your quest :thumbsup:

I have a CVA .58 cal Mt. Rifle and it has no orgin of country on the barrel where it was made and it has no proof marks. Any idea where that might have been made? I've been told that all countries require proof marks except USA. :confused:

Its a Douglas. Deer creek makes the barrels on the Douglas rifling machine. I bought one from them many many months ago. It was a fine barrel!

my b rother has the 54 can't seem to talk him out of it my first rifle was the 50 cal. with the capbox made in the USA won't trade it. got many other since but my wife shoots it very well.. old CVA rifles are a good buy if you find them...chuck

I just bought a CVA .50 cal Flintlock Mountain rifle. It has a 2 screw patchbox. The only stamping on the barrel is:
Connecticut Valley Arms Inc.
Black Powder Only 50 Cal.

the serial # is7xxxx

there are no proof marks or no country of origin.
Would this be a Douglas Barrel? The gun is exceptional...absoutely Fine fit and finish and mirror bore, no dings or scratches...just like NIB...NO SCRATCHING ON THE FRIZZEN...
I know it was a great Buy...I wont mention the price cuz you wouldnt believe me...

Rogue River said:
I'm looking for a CVA Mt Rifle in .54 cal. I don't recall ever seeing one in that cal. Did they make one? Thanks

The MTN Rifle was a pretty good factory made. Perhaps the best. At least when it was introduced. Don't know about later production.
Had they used a good patent breech it would have been perfect.
But one must be very careful buying used percussion guns since they have often been shot with "replica" powders and could be seriously pitted.
Must do *careful* personal inspection to know.

Dan

I have a 50cal. CVA Mountain. I am not sure there could be any improvement with a patent breech. Mine has been absolutely reliable, fast firing and accurate. Compared to the other factory made guns I have had up to this time, I think it would be the last one I would want to sell. I have had some guns with and without a patent breech. I am not sure I can tell any difference in the performance and speed of the action.If you can find the CVA Mountain you are looking for, don't let it slip away.

Evidently, It sounds just like the one I have! You can tell me what you paid and I would believe you, besides my curiosity is killing me! :)

I have a CVA Big Bore Mtn Rifle .54 I bought as a kit in 1980 I think. My go to rifle is a Lyman Great Plains, the Lyman is a much higher quality gun. I was thinking about getting a shorter barreled rifle (Lyman Deerstalker) but then decided to sporterize my CVA last year instead cause it wasn't being used as is, so I lopped off about 6" off the barrel, squared up the butt, installed a fiber front site and Williams barrel mounted peep. Made a much handier rifle (it's not a carbine quite yet). Only fired it a few times in this configuration but it shot Buffalo Balletts pretty well, just as well as it ever shot patched round balls with the long barrel.

As I recall I think the kit cost $90 in '80, came to just over $100 with shipping. Seemed like to a ton of money to a poor college student at the time. Had I known they were in such hot demand, I might of sold it, but then again probably not, still has sentimental value, even in it's new form......

My wife won a .54 flinter in a raffle quite a few years ago. Ignition was horrible until I replaced the lock with an L&R and modified the touch hole liner. I would never buy one in flint--the percussion guns were fine.

Here is my .58, and I recently picked up a made in USA .45 at an antique market for 125!

Picture025.jpg

I was told that the barrels with no marking other than caliber were kit barrels. I bought a barrel to complete my .50 cal kit and it is an unmarked one. The purveyors had no knowledge of the original mfg.

Back