• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

54 GPR Flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey pards, been shootin BP for about 37 Yars, ain't had me no trouble, till I bought this GPR flinter. This here ole coon is gonna git er, you can count on it, but I do have one guestion. When you shoot a caplock and you field clean the barrel, you simply use some IPA and swab out the bore, then fire a couple caps to dry the barrel before you put in the next powder charge. Obviously, you can't do that on a flinter. How do you make sure the barrel is dry, prior to the next powder charge? Someone I'm sure can help this ole boy. I'm 62 and have slowed down a little, but I'm still willing to learn.

always glad to help a fellow Jerseyman..I just use a dry patch...haven't had any trouble....Hank

I do the same.One wet followed by a dry or two.I have the GPR in a 54 flint.You will like it alot!

410-er,
You are wrong on one point. modernfrontiersman is NOT going to like it....he's going to LOVE it :rotf: .

You were right, I do love shooting this 54 flinter even though I still get a pffft, once in a while, most of the time I get a kaboom. A very satisfying feeling. Thanks for the help and support.

:v With the GPR the way you eliminate the occasional p-f-f-f-t is to #1--pick the flash hole after each shot; #2 brush the pan; #3 do not over fill the pan with powder; #4 do not put priming powder near the flash hole, leave a gap ~1/4" and pour your powder to leave room for the flash to travel to the touch hole :hatsoff:

What sixe is your flash hole. You night want to make it alittle larger if you get to many flash in the pans. Seems that as cured the problem for several on the forum.
Fox :hatsoff:

I use 7F in my pan. I only fill the pan 1/2-never cover the flash hole. Use Gorilla grease on your flash hole-so you can remove and clean thoroughly. Get a good nipple pick. Just a few suggestions. Tom.

IMG_0215.jpg

The 54 GPR is a great shooter, all the things Pasquenel mentioned help, on mine i found the touch hole liner extended into the powder well by almost 1& 1/2 threads (a place for fouling to gather) shortened the liner and coned the back side, opened the flash hole to .070 (#50 drill), have not had a flash in the pan since.

Latest posts

Back