• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 lee R.E.A.L bullets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First, bullets kill by stopping blood flow. To create a wound channel large enough to kill by removing large portions of the critter requires many times the energy needed to cleanly kill the animal. I have a 385 here somewhere that has been thru one side of a rib cage, the diaphram, paunch, and liver. It was fired over 100 grains of P at about 85 to 90 yards. I witnessed the shot, trailed the animal, and recovered the slug myself. It is about the size of a quarter. It destroyed three square inches of liver on it's way thru and then hit the flank skin on the off side that stretched and stopped the bullet from exiting. It destroyed plenty of tissue to very quickly bleed the animal out. An arrow that hit the same place and exited would result in a deer that ran 50 yards and bedded down. Since it did not exit, there was no place for the blood to escape in this case. The blood had to fill the abdomen, come back thru the diaphram, and then reach the hole high in the chest wall before it could leave the animal. A deer that I found hours later after I had bumped into it in the dark. It was on it's feet still and it was a very dark night. If the bullet breaks thru the flank so the blood can escape, the deer is dead very quickly and likely within sight of the shot.
A roundball placed properly will make a deer run like it's tail was on fire for about 25 yards and then they pile up. If it exits, you will have a decent blood trail to follow if things are thick. The 385 placed properly either drops them in their tracks from the massive shock wave it creates, or they run like their tails are on fire for 25 to 50 yards before they pile up!
The conical has several advantages. It is hard to get a 385 to stay in a whitetail. The instance I mentioned is the only case I have ever seen or heard of with the 385. Because of today's high deer numbers in a lot of places, following by tracks is pretty much impossible unless you are a very good tracker. And I mean very good! In the case I described, there were about 9 deer in a line slipping up a ditch. At the shot, deer flushed like a covey of quail and went in several directions at once. Without finding the first blood, there was no way to track the deer at all, or even to know which direction it went in. Please remember that you often can not see the game for a couple of seconds right after the shot with black or Pyrodex. Since they almost always exit, conicals produce good blood trails pretty quick. Roundball produces good blood trails, but they often don't start for about 35 yards or so.
That is the one big advantage to conicals for deer. They almost always exit and they produce good blood trails. That is important if you hunt public areas where quick recovery is required if you are going to tag your game. That is important in areas where the numbers are high and the deer trails are heavily used. That is even more important with a newcomer that is going to be excited and because of the smoke may not even be able to tell me which direction the deer fled.
I use a conical in a beginners gun every time I set someone up. That just helps me find the blood trail easier if the deer isn't down within sight. I am the tracker when things don't go right a lot of the time. I use a conical when I plan to shoot at 100 yards or better. That part is a no-brainer. My slug barrel will put the Lee target Minnie right where I want it way out past where I would shoot at game.
If I was going after Elk or Moose and I was paying for the trip of a lifetime, I would want the conical because it raises the chance of my expensive hunt being successful. Also, I have never hunted critters that big, so the beginner thing applies to me in that case.
Mostly I have a roundball loaded over 70 grains of powder in one of my roundball guns. Why? Because I shoot them all year. I go to gatherings where I shoot them in crazy ways that require that I know my gun and the load forwards, backwards, and sideways! I simply know pretty much exactly where the ball is going to hit on most shots when the gun goes off. That is more important on deer than what hits them. Even a 385 expanded to the size of a quarter is not a sure kill and retrieve bullet if it does not hit where you wanted it to.
Round ball is more pleasant to shoot because of the recoil. Round ball is cheaper to shoot. It is all you can shoot at most gatherings. It is perfectly capable of harvesting any animal that walks this continent. Only at longer ranges where wind drift asnd such become critical with round ball does the conical actually have an advantage for deer sized game in the killing department. I can't say about the larger critters because I don't have the experience to say.

I've got both 54 call REAL molds, and though I've shot them lots, I've never got around to sticking game with them.

Accuracy-wise they seem a little "fiddly" to me. With a good clean pour, uniform lube application, and a lubed felt wad under them, accuracy is generally very good. But visual inspection is not enough. I have to weigh each to be sure there's not some hidden void. Lead temp and pour method seem pretty critical, as it's sometimes hard to get all those little grooves to fill cleanly. My problem and probably no one elses, but I'm shooting them and not anyone else.

I also found that I needed to cast them from the purest lead for best results. In another thread on the REALs (I can't find it, so you may have to search) others report good results with slight alloys. I haven't tried alloys, so I can't comment.

In contrast, my hunting pard has been casting and shooting the Lyman 548657 with much more uniform results. It's a very easy bullet to cast and it shoots like a house afire. And based upon a lot of experience with other bullets as I described in this thread here at MLF, I have a lot more faith in that bullet as a performer on large game.

Hey thanks for the Lyman #. I've been looking for that mold. I'll try out my Real first and some Great plains bullets I've already had. If the Great Plains works I'll see if the Lyman is the way to go since they seem be be similar. :thumbsup:

Checking my box of Hornady Great Plains in .54 I noticed that is has a hollow base and point. It's also 390 grns. :hmm:

I have a 385 here somewhere that has been thru one side of a rib cage, the diaphram, paunch, and liver. It was fired over 100 grains of P at about 85 to 90 yards. I witnessed the shot, trailed the animal, and recovered the slug myself.

I hit a mulie buck in a near identical shot with a maxi ball over 90 grains of ff. The deer was about thirty yards away and facing me at a 1/4 angle. My shot was a bit far back in the rib cage and the bullet took out one lung and the liver. The deer simply walked away and kept walking for several hundred yards. I followed, tracking by sight and expecting the deer to drop. It moved so slowly that I did not deem a second shot to be needed. The deer finally laid down but was far from dead when I came up behind and administered the coup de grace to the back of the neck.

What I described above and what you described above seem to be very similar. The main thing they have in common is that they were both poor hits. A liver hit is not a fast killer and getting only one lung will not cause the loss of blood pressure needed. If there is enough shock in the hit to the single lung, it will coagulate quickly leaving the animal with one good lung and a functioning circulatory system.

Many animals that I've double lunged with various projectiles including modern rifle bullets, round balls and conicals and with complete pass throughs did not leave any blood trail to speak of. However, the lungs were taken out and when the lungs collapse there is enough room in the chest cavity to hold every drop of the animals blood. I have observed this very thing on a number of deer and elk with double lung hits.

Back