• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 Loads for Deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.535 home cast ball, Hoppes BP patch lube red striped pillow tick, beeswax/olive oil lubed felt wad, 90 grains Goex 2F. I use the same load in several different rifles.

HD

I shoot Hornady .530 round balls, wrapped in Wally World pillow tick patches lubed with Moose Snot, on top of 80gr. of Goex FFg.

In my GPR capper I'm using .530 balls homecast from a Lee mould, Wallies best pillow ticking with homebuilt lube of deer tallow and olive oil over 90 grains of 3f Goex. Sighted in dead on at 75 yards it's barely high at 50 and about 3" low at 100. Great deer load in a great gun.

.530 PRB 90gr FFF pillow ticing and moose snot

Around 85 gr FFF is usually a sweet spot on most .54 rifles

.520 balls, 1:9 Ballistol-Water prelubed Denim from Wally World and 55gn 3F Swiss or 80 gn 2F "Schuetzen". It is more likely the Swiss nowadays,it burns cleaner..

CVA St. Louis Hawken; home cast .530 round ball (LEE mold) w/.010 patch using Wonderlube, 90 grains FFg, CCI #11 cap.

54 calibre Virginia style flintlock. A .535 diameter ball cast from an MG mold over 80 grains FFFG Goex (burns cleaner than FFG) same in the pan. A 0.200" patch from TOW lubed with hog lard and castor oil. Never needed anything more.
Tom Black
Cantucky

rancher said:
What's everyone shooting in their .54's for deer?

.54cal RIFLED Flintlock
90grns Goex 3F
Oxyoke natural lubed wad
.018" natural lubed pillow ticking
Hornady .530" ball

.54cal SMOOTHBORE Flintlock
90grns Goex 3F
(no wad)
.018" natural lubed pillow ticking
Hornady .520" ball

I want to assume you have a " typo" when you wrote, a .200" patch. Did you not mean a " .020" "thick patch? :hmm: :thumbsup:

Back