• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 for Target?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all!!

I am desiring most strongly a Kibler Woodsrunner in .54 caliber. I am wanting that caliber as it allows the lightest weight and is reportedly very well balanced and handy. Years ago I had a Lyman Great Plains rifle and had a lot of fun shooting that caliber.

Also someday I might try getting a deer with the gun, but my main uses will be recreational target shooting and some woods walk and shooting competitions.

Does anyone here who shoots a .54 like it for that type of use? Is using a .54 for “just” target shooting/woods walks overkill?

Thanks!!

-Smokey
The vast majority of my shooting with the 54 cal has been target. Either for the fun of it or for preparation for hunting season. Unfortunately life and health has held me to a single hunting season with it.

Back in my old competition days, I used a .50 flintlock rifle I built with 50 gr. FFG. It was mostly offhand shooting but it was deadly. I shot it at 200 yards at a pig silhouette but bumped the charge up to 80 gr. it knocked the pig over.

Nowadays for target shooting, I like my .36 with 35 gr FFG.

The vast majority of my shooting with the 54 cal has been target. Either for the fun of it or for preparation for hunting season. Unfortunately life and health has held me to a single hunting season with it.
I think most of the shooting with traditional muzzleloaders is recreational these days. At least if you count shots fired per gun
The I only use it for hunting guys go out maybe once a year and shoot to make sure it shoots good for hunting

Back