• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 makes meat..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kylongrifle

40 Cal.
Reaction score
A nice fat young deer for the freezer. Stalked to within 40 yards. Broadside with a cast .54 PRB over 90gr of goex. Ran about 40 yards and I was amazed that it went that far after seeing what that big ball did..Those loins gonna taste good for supper tomorrow :hatsoff:

Congrats and I'm surprised it went that far too with that big .54! :thumbsup:

A-#1! That's the kind I absolutely love...supper at our house! :wink: :thumbsup:

Congratulations,my first was taken with a renegade, but in .50. I've really come to like venison seasoned with smoke. Enjoy many fine dinners to come.

Congratulations! Deer are tough and can surprise us with their ability to do what we think is impossible because nobody told them they couldn't. :hatsoff:

I shot a similar little doe last year with my .54 and it ran 50 or 60 yards, even though it was hit perfect and the ball ripped her up inside. This is why I always encourage people to use the larger calibers for deer and always discourage the use of little .36's and .40s.

Im happy with any deer I take but on the ground face to face Im very happy. The lungs came out in pieces when I field dressed it. Amazing amount of damage to the vitals. Complete pass through.

Congrats! I shot a doe this season with my .58 PRB at 20 yards. Hit both lungs and passed completely through the deer. Upon closer inspection I found that both lungs had been destroyed and rib fragments from both sides were blasted throughout the chest cavity. The doe still ran 40+ yards! Tough animals !

Very nice kill. Wanted to try to do the same today since this is the opening day of MO season, but the weather isn't cooperating at all.

Back