• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 Renegade: ball park hunting load ...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

str8sh2ter

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm going with FFF blackpowder and a roundball. Anyone else shoot his setup or have a good formula?

I'd try 70-80 grains with a .530 ball and lubed .018 pillow ticking patch. Let the rifle decide which charge it prefers, because there's ample power anywhere in that charge range, and on either side of it.

thanks guys.that's about what i figured.I've heard that alot of people use 2F in .54 or bigger.i've alway used 3F in my other guns.This is my first .54 cal.I didn't want ot have to buy different powder just for this gun.

It would be worth trying 2f if you aren't happy with the accuracy using 3f, but that's the only reason I can think of NOT to use 3f. I've got several guns that use either equally well, but I stay with the 3f just because it's easier than changing out horns or refilling horns when I switch gun.

this is an earlier Renegade that doesn't have all the warning on the barrel.it just says Thompson center etc. and the ser# on the other side.Were these likely 1:48 twist like the Hawkens?

In my tc 54 cal I use 90 grains of ffg , homecast round ball , and red stripe pillow ticking wiff homemade lube , it shoots one hole groups at 50 yards :thumbsup:

factory gun is 1-48, a kit could of been 1-66 if the builder ordered that kit

My old factory gun purchased in 1978 was 1-48 I used to shoot 120 grains FF .535 ball .15 patch and it was accurate and deadly.

knowing what I do now i would probably use 90 grains of FF.

I dont have any opinion about the FFF question just saying what mine liked

I use 80grains of 3f .530 ball .018 ticking with bore butter for lube in my .54 hawken, my second favorite load is 90gr of 2f same ball and patching and bore butter for lube, good accuracy with both.

Its all been said but my preferance is to start at 75 and work my way to 95 grains in 5 grain increments looking for the BEST pattern in a three shot group. What ever it is for THAT gun then THAT is IT!

My .54 T/C Hawkens loves FFg Goex. A friend of mine got a .54 CVA Hawkens that shot 3 to 4" groups at 50 yards with FFg. I gave him some FFFg and that rifle will shoot 1" groups all day at 50 yards. Each rifle is different. BTW, you chose an excellent caliber :thumbsup:

Back