• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 Renegade makes meat

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm. To be honest, I Don't know why I put that in there or where it even came from!! Ive never used pillow ticking in my Renegade! I don't even have any .535 roundballs! I use the Track of the Wolf precut .010 dry patches lubed with mink oil and a Hornady .530 ball. Thanks for pointing that out and I apologize if I may have caused anyone some confusion!! I guess I got confused with the load for my .40 which is the gun I shoot the most and where I use the pillow ticking. Wow! Stinks getting old!
Not getting old probably stinks worse ;) 88 YO Polecat

In my experience with both bow and muzzleloader it's not so much a single hole that matters for blood or lack of it, but just where the hole happens to be.
I think that's a very important point to make. To hear people talk about the one hole/two hole question, they seem to be thinking about it as if it was a bucket of blood, and if you poke one hole in it X-amount of blood will run out, poke two holes and 2-X will run out. It doesn't work like that. Inside an animal things move, slide, contract and expand. Shoot a hole in a muscle when it's relaxed and the hole will move when the muscle contracts, maybe stop any blood from running out. There is no guarantee the hole/path made as the ball travels through tissue will stay open, no matter how many holes you poke. I've also seen deer with one hole in them bleed more than ones with two holes.

Spence

I think that's a very important point to make. To hear people talk about the one hole/two hole question, they seem to be thinking about it as if it was a bucket of blood, and if you poke one hole in it X-amount of blood will run out, poke two holes and 2-X will run out. It doesn't work like that. Inside an animal things move, slide, contract and expand. Shoot a hole in a muscle when it's relaxed and the hole will move when the muscle contracts, maybe stop any blood from running out. There is no guarantee the hole/path made as the ball travels through tissue will stay open, no matter how many holes you poke. I've also seen deer with one hole in them bleed more than ones with two holes.

Spence
You are absolutely correct sir, but the more holes the better chance blood will run out.
Walk

You are certainly right about that. It hasn't been much of a factory in my hunting, though, I usually don't have a passthrough. It has never caused me to lose one, knock on wood.

Spence

Back