• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 varmint-predator load?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only objection anyone has expressed to my using a pump shotgun is muzzle blast. Would a long barrel BP smoothbore loaded down to subsonic MV have noticeably less report? Thanks.

GBG said:
The only objection anyone has expressed to my using a pump shotgun is muzzle blast. Would a long barrel BP smoothbore loaded down to subsonic MV have noticeably less report? Thanks.

Indeed it will. If I'm by myself on the range shooting my .54 I will sometimes go without the ear plugs. The report is more of a low boom than a crack like a modern rifle or shotgun.

Thanks Kev and BrownBear, I'm going to invest in a long smoothbore. I appreciate everyone's patience and advice.

Hello from Germany,

we have at some places the same problems with redfox, nearly similar to coyote, but a bit samller. We bait them with dry dogfeeding at special places and then shoot them with shot or ball up to 30-40 m. For using a .54 varmint load I'll recommend 30-40 grs Wano PP and the normal ball and patch combo. That will work. Place the baiting in the way that there is a natural bullet capture possible.

Regards

Kirrmeister

GBG said:
Thanks Kev and BrownBear, I'm going to invest in a long smoothbore. I appreciate everyone's patience and advice.

A smoothbore should serve you well for your purpose no doubt. I'm sure you'll find other uses for it as well! :wink:

I'm not a smoothbore shooter myself (yet) but I'd imagine an ounce of #4 buck and 60 grains of FFg would make a dandy load for close range predator work depending on what size bore, and the noise shouldn't be bad at all.

Our Teutonic friend Kirrmeister's idea of baiting isn't a bad one, and calling would be a lot of fun too. Just be careful that you don't get trigger happy and shoot fluffy from next door. :shocked2:

Back