• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

54 vs 58 chart

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember the ice pick and ball bat analogy? How about just the ball bat? Say you just push some body with a ball bat (a little energy) as compared to adding a swing to that ball bat(lots of energy). Which thrust of the ball bat is going to knock the person down? 50 grs. in a .54 or a .58 is just a target load. No one I know of recommends these target loads for hunting.

I think 120gr Swiss a great hunting charge. If you can handle it then that is great. I wont shoot less than 100gr FFG Goex for hunting myself.

I disagree, Cooner. It depends on what you are hunting, and what distance you are shooting. If you are shooting those little deer that live on the Eastern shore, 50 grains is more than enough. If you want to recover your lead ball in the animal, 50 grains may be too much on close shots.

Again, you have to do penetrating testing before you can say a load is too little or too much. Whenever you increase the diameter and the weight of a round ball, its ability to penetrate will change from a lighter weight or small caliber ball. At high velocity a light weight, pure lead ball will flatten in some media so fast that they will not penetrate very far. Slow that light weight ball down some, and penetration will be greater.

My experience with the .54 is that its a small freight car, and when you get it rolling, its not going to stop very fast or easily at all. I have seen .54 balls loaded with a lighter powder charge than I was using in my .50 penetrate further than my ball did. I am glad I didn't bet money on it, as I would have lost! I am talking about target loads, although I can't remember the exact load we used. That was more than 20 years ago, so please forgive my sad memory. I know back in that day I was shooting 55 grains of FFg in my .50, so the guy with his .54 was loading 50 or perhaps even 45 grains in his gun. Shocked the heck out of me. My RB penetrated 6 1" boards spaced 1" apart and left a mark on #7. His went through 7 boards and into the 8th. I even check his powder measure, I was so surprised. He had an adjustable powder measure similar to my own, That is when I became a firm believer that weight has more to do with penetration than velocity, at least when you are dealing with the over-50 caliber RBs.I found it also works when choosing Shot sizes in smoothbores.

WOW!!! Just think, if your buddy with the .54 would have dropped that load back to 30grs. he could have driven that ball through 15 boards. :shake: :shocked2:

Like you and Roundball I'v never thought mch about the #'s game, I'm sure you know all about the "19 taylor k.o. 23" thing,it's like Elmer Kieth's (sorry if spelled wrong), the ARMY and everyone jumped on that one to use in kill power and weve gone from the 45 to 9 mil now going back to 45, more lead (weight) has more "whomp"! :rotf: Good name for all this. Till ya get out to target shooting PRB's is a more is better all the time like the test they ran of the "American 180 22 cal vs 45 auto, seem's the 180's 10 to 15 22 cal bullets hitting at thwe same time( In a 1/10 second) has more whomp than 2 45s in the same time. Your just as dead. :wink: Fred :hatsoff:

I tend to compare my ML with my 44 mag Ruger Blackhawk which definitely drives a 240 grain HP bullet all the way through a deer's chest at 90 yards (yup, I'm bragging :grin: ), with the bullet's muzzle velocity below 1300 fps. Doesn't take much powder to get a 54-caliber PRB up to that velocity and it has a much larger diameter.

While at hospital today I was reading old Muz Blast this one about Hunting in Alaska, Bill Fuller first Hawken copy in June 1970 was used by G O Weigner got #41 in Boon and Crocket for "all moose" with a 66 1/2" spread the rifle a 58 cal Hawken useing 200 grs Du pont, .560 ball, measured one shot kill at 223 yards. Got to love that 58 and Hawken's right rabbit? You get the things I mailed you?? FRED :hatsoff: a ps of sorts Fuller also shot a black bear with his org 53 Hawken , 200 grs ect and .520 PRB and it went right on thru side to side with a 2" bye-bye hole :rotf:

Really we can not say the 54cal is better than the 58cal or the 58cal is better than the 54cal. The 54cal is better for some things while the 58cal is better for other things. It depends on how the person is using it and what they are using it for.

Back