• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54cal(.28ga) Smoothbore Virginia fills last 2011 Doe tag...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Went still hunting for squirrels with #5 shot in the .28ga this afternoon, saw a couple out of range, no shot. At 4:00pm I pulled the shot load, reloaded with my deer load, and took a seat against a tree.

Fairly early at 4:20 I see movement off through the trees...deer legs slowly coming in my direction. As movement gets closer I see two sets of legs...then see it’s a Doe followed by a 4-6 point Buck.

He’s interested, she’s not...they keep coming, I get ready and at about 40yds the whole point of her left shoulder comes clear through the trees as she’s moving almost directly towards me now.
I put the bead on that point and shot her, she spun around and fell with her shoulder broken and a ball through her heart, lunged up and sprinted 15-20yds, then crashed.
This 42" Smoothbore Virginia is a hammer with 90grns Goex 3F / .022" patch / Hornady .520"/220grn ball.

Been a good deer season...accomplished all my goals, christened a couple of new Flintlocks that couldn’t have performed better, and gave 6 deer to a very needy family along the way...a very satisfying month of November.

11291154calSmoothBoreDoe.jpg

Great shot..Great season..That family's eating good this winter too!
That's quite the layer of leaf litter going on.
Your hunting posts this fall were fun to read.
Enjoy your new found career.

well.....ya dun good.....real good! grats! :hatsoff:
now I'd like to christen a flinter and... seeing..yes! jus seeing! 6 deer would be a huge acomplishment!

good job RB.....Good job.. :thumbsup:

lonehunter said:
Sounds like your plan fell right into place.

Sure did...with the special treat of having that young buck tagging along.
And that little 2-hole loading block you made worked great!

She looks like she'll cut up in to some fine, mighty tender pieces.

Got to love the days where you load up for deer on that off chance...and that off chance lands right in your lap. :thumbsup:

Back