• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

555 grain Maxi-ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeRoche117

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a T/C .58 cal barrel on my Renegade that was made in the custom shop. It shoots the 555 grain maxi-ball the best of all the conicals I've tried. Problem is, this bullet has been discontinued and according to the virtually helpless customer service at S&W/TC, they are not slated for production again. I asked T/C who made their conicals for them hoping to contact the producer myself and maybe buy a pair of old mould blocks but they wouldn't tell me who. Definately not the old T/C customer service. Can anybody tell me where I may find a set of 555 moulds or know of a similar conical that flies as good? My current stock of 555s is getting low.

Track of the Wolf lists the 58 cal maxi in stock, and identify it as "hand cast." It looks like a short term source for you, and perhaps a tip toward a source. I haven't been on Fleabay in a year, but back then there was a guy selling them for considerably less than any other source. Wish I could be more specific.

Thanks much guys. I'll continue hoarding for now with your suggestions. Please everyone,...keep an eye out for a set of moulds for me would ya?

Have you called Lyman or Lee precision about molds? Sometimes they make up stuff that is not shown in their on-line catalogs.

Personally, I don't know what in this world you expect to shoot with that huge bullet- its more than 1 1/4 oz. of lead- but that is not the question you raise. I would not do that to my shoulder, after having the experience of shooting a .50-140-550 Sharps rifle a couple of times.

was raised shooting a 12 gauge slug so the kick from this .58 isn't so bad. Game of choice for this gun is bear.

Just draw up the specification bullet you want,call Steve Brooks and he will make you anything you want. I have him and Paul Jones, the two best mold maker on the planet, make my molds for me to shoot in my black powder cartridge rifles now. They will set you back about$175.00 bucks but they are lathe bored not cherry cut and drop almost perfect bullets, easily.
They make the Lyman molds,which I have plenty of, look and work like fishing sinker molds.
Actually now that I think on it I'm not sure Paul Jones makes anything over .45 cal but it won't hurt to give them a call as I'm sure they could recommend someone if they don't. Still I would try to talk either one into making it because they are the best I know of. MD

Old School 117 said:
was raised shooting a 12 gauge slug so the kick from this .58 isn't so bad. Game of choice for this gun is bear.

You're on track. I shoot lots of 3" slugs for qualifications, and even with heavy loads I don't think the 58 kicks as bad. For that matter I've been shooting a comparatively light 50-140 since the late 1970's, favorite load being a 650 grain paperpatch over 140 grains of 2f. That's in the ballpark with slugs, and the 58 with 100 grains is a lot more pleasant.

Latest posts

Back