• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

56 SB--Slight Barrel Pitting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishDFly

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been looking for a T/C SB and know nothing about SBs.

I have found a T/C 56 SB which would pass for possibly unfired. It is in excellent shape except for two (2) small pits in the barrel about 1/2" down from the muzzle.

The wife, who has very small hands, said that when she runs here "pinky" finger over them she can just barely feel them. She said that if I had not pointed them out to her, she is not sure she would have noticed them.

I plan on shooting .015 teflon pathces and .550 balls as recommended in the TC book. From reading here, it appears that 50 yards or so is about the limit for a SB. Do you think the small pits will affect accuracy?

Is this a gun to run from or take a chance on?

Thanks

RDE

If the price is right, I would take a chance. Before purchasing, check the rest of the bore with a bore light. I have found that MINOR pitting usually does not effect accuracy. You know, using that smooth bore with shot is a lot of fun.

Being a smoothbore it shouldn't hurt anything but you could always polish them out with a rod and some fine grit sandpaper.

Try taking a slightly oversize bronze brush (58 or 62 cal) in a good 3/8 rod then chuck it into a drill. Slobber up the bore with a good solvent (Hoppes #9 works good) and have at the bore working in and out with the drill spinning. I've got lots of stuff out of shotgun barrels this way that I thought were big pits but turned out to be mostly scale and small pits underneath.

If you do keep it and it is lightly pitted be careful to clean well after shooting so you don't leave anything in the pits that could be corrosive.

Hi,
The 56 smoothbore is one of 2 barrels I have for my Renegade (the other is a 54). They are great shooters and do not limit your self to 50 yards. I can get resonable groups at 100 yards with it (within a deer kill zone shooting standing, braced off a downed tree at the end of my range). I use .550 rb with .018 pillow ticking ( a little snug)and this barrel likes 80 gr., but will still shoot well to 100 gr. Have Fun With It :thumbsup:

H

Thanks for all the help, I am going to keep the gun and follow the suggested recommendations.

I ordered some balls and wads for it.

Again thanks

RDE

Back