• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

56 smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gman10

32 Cal.
Reaction score
i have a chance to buy a 56 thompson center smoothbore barrel. i will have about $140 in the barrel. i want to use it for squirrel, rabbit and turkey. i want to use it as a shotgun. what over the powder wads and over the shot wads do i use? anyone use these as a shotgun and how is it? what do you use as wads and where do i get them?

the reason i am asking, is the 28ga wads on paper look too small and the 24ga wads look to big.

should i buy it?????

thanks

Gman:
Buy it, buy a wad punch and use hornets nest and the insert pizzas sit on in the big pizza box. Use 50-60 grains of powder same amount of shot divided in 3 nearly sections with wads in between.They also shoot a .550 ball well also.
Nit Wit :thumbsup:

or i guess if i don't get a punch what size wads do i need? what will work?

thanks again

gman10 said:

thanks again

+1

I also have a .56 T/C barrel for my Renegade and would like to be set up for squirrel hunting.

Once when I had some too small wads, I wrapped a patch around them and they then fit very snug in the barrel. Not the best solution but works if that is all you have.

The bore mics out around .561 just under 9/16.Check antique shops or places that have old tools. Take the barrel and a hammer with you and and a pizza box insert and punch out a wad, try it.You want it tight,even a tad oversize.
Nit Wit

my father shot alot of grouse with his 56. in massachusetts thats all we could use when they first opened a black powder for deer,, he passed his 56 smoothie to me and its grouping about 3" at 50yds, awesome for deer too and fits behind the seat of the truck perfect so for those quick after work hunts it does the job!

gman10 said:

thanks again

The one I usta have used a 24ga card/wad. tried the 28ga ones and the shot would run out the muzzle if I tilted it down.

A 9/16 arch punch and an empty cereal box makes a lot of cards for free.

All I ever used mine for was squirrels. If I recall, my load was 60 grains of 2F, 4 cards, and 70 grain measure of shot topped off by one card.

It makes a dandy squirrel gun but would be a heavy swingin' shotgun for shooting flying. For turkey hunting be sure and check your state regs. Here a 20ga is minimum.

Mine is a .54 smoothbore instead of the .56, but I got my wadpunch from Ohio Ramrod here on this forum. PM him with your bore measurement and see what he suggests. Great man to deal with and does very good work. I have punches he made for both my smoothies and they work great, and I use cereal and dr. pepper/coke 12pk boxes. No need to get fancy, and once you have the punches, you can experiment with materials to see what suits your needs.

Back