• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.570 balls in a 20G smoothy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodRabbitPilgrim

Do Not Live in America
Reaction score
Has anyone tried these and if so any accuracy?

Can't get moulds or balls for my 20G fowler, would .570 balls with a thick patch or two patches likely give a shootable group (dinner plate) at 50 yards? Or would it likely just go wild?

Worth a shot (pun intended), and it's crossed my mind. I already shoot an unpatched .600 RB out of my Fusil with decent success.... just hits about a foot to the right of where I want to hit. Hold it down with a thick thick thick wad of flax tow impregnated with mink oil.

I did OK with a 20ga cushion wad, a .562 ball and heavy denim patch in a 62/20 ga. Smoothbore. About 5" at 50yd, so nothing to brag on, but easy loading, and would work for close range deer, etc.

I make paper cartridge for mine with .570. It can hit a dinner play every shot at fifty yards.
I was at a shoot with a 16 bore. There were about three hundred shooters I was shooting .600 ball in a denim patch and shot in the middle of the field
And I had a cut off bess that I shot a patched .690 ball in pretty fair.
I think smoothbore are a little more forgiving then a rifle

Interesting. I have wondered much the same concerning .570 or .575 inch in my 62 smoothie. Heard of them doing good but never gave em a whirl. Gonna have to do so to satisfy my curiosity.

Thanks for the nudge.

I tried it with heavy patching but accuracy was not even cl9se to what I coul achieve with a .60 ball and .015” parch/mink oil.
DFA28431-59BD-4B9A-854F-17A0C34DC2D4.jpeg

My 20ga is a genuine .60 at the muzzle so I have been trying to decide what LRB size to use. Was gonna try .595, but maybe I will try smaller with the remarks here.

I tried a .575 ball and an .018 patch in my 20 gauge made from an old shotgun barrel with about .004 choke. Accuracy was not good at all. I'd like to find a .615 or so mold but I'll probably just shoot shot in the thing anyway.

My bore is .615 and after lots of experimenting I ended up with .595 ball and .010 patch.
I did try .570 with leather patch and got decent results, but not until I got above 120gr of 2f according to my notes.

I've been getting by using .600 rb in my .610 bore leather wad over and under ball. using 120 gr goes 2f with 50 yd 7" groups. Just changed over to .575 rb and ,20 ox yoke patch and 70gr 3f OE now getting 4" 50yd groups and saving powder, I like the ,575 rb combo a lot. Much more confident hitting what I aim at now.

Back