• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A fowler for round ball accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anything shoots good at 25yds. that really is not much of a test. judge it at 50yds,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I totally agree and this is the only picture I have of a target. Maybe I should document my trials more often… but this was 50 yards. Of course my rear sight decided to go on a field trip that day but the gun is still true. Fixed that of course.

.60, 65gr 3f with over/under powder cards.

Attachments

• IMG_4822.jpeg
    IMG_4822.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0663.jpeg
    IMG_0663.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
I totally agree and this is the only picture I have of a target. Maybe I should document my trials more often… but this was 50 yards. Of course my rear sight decided to go on a field trip that day but the gun is still true. Fixed that of course.

.60, 65gr 3f with over/under powder cards.
nice gun,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

well i just finished a Kibler 20ga. i have no experience with a smooth bore. my friend mule brain, on this forum gave me some .570 RB. i cast some .600 i used 65gr. of goex 2f off the bench at 50yds. with a tight parched .570 ball i got 5 shot hand sized groups. with the .600 for some reason the groups opened up to twice that. but man the .570 i was impressed. and they shot point of aim. i have the gun for sale in the for-sale section, but if i don't sell it i may become a smooth bore fan,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:)
Make a smooth rifle and watch the groups shrink 60%.

I would also suggest upping g your charge to 80 grns or so…speed makes a big difference in how those balls fly from a smooth barrel.

Make a smooth rifle and watch the groups shrink 60%.

I would also suggest upping g your charge to 80 grns or so…speed makes a big difference in how those balls fly from a smooth barrel.
yep, i figured if it were hotter, it would stabilize the ball better. that maybe why the .570 balls shot better because they are lighter and faster. if i keep this gun i will give it a try. also mule brain says he has a tang screw that will stick up and the slot can be used as a back sight.

Load was 145 grains / 50 grains of corn meal with a thin shot card on top followed by a .567 ball and another thin shot card on top of the ball. 85 grains with the same 50 grains of corn meal with a thin shot card on top followed by a .567 ball and another thin shot card on top of the ball shot almost as good. I have refined my powder and since have dropped the charge I am not using store bought powder haven't in some years..So as usual work up to a safe charge. I will say corn meal has really made a huge difference in the accuracy department.
What does the corn meal do? A buffer?

Reading the posts and discussion regarding the Kibler fowlers -- with Jim's recommendation to choose the 20 gauge for PRB shooting vs. the 16 -- got me to wondering what the ideal roundball-shooting smoothbore would look like. We're talking a flint or percussion firearm designed for maximum accuracy without a rifled barrel, but still perfectly suited to the use of shot for bird-hunting. Not sure if this would be a true "smooth rifle" but a fowler with fowler architecture and balance, a barrel thick enough to safely and consistently take PRB pressure and probably a very small rear sight. Just curious if anyone has thoughts on the matter. I would think the proof of the pudding would be six-inch or smaller groups at 75 yards. Might be too high a bar.
I was thinking about this today, then came back here to post this. There is a gun that comes to mind that just simply fits all the criteria that Bill posted here. The T/C Renegade 56 smooth bore. Well mostly, I don't think it would be a good wing shooter. And I've been hemhawing around here like a lost puppy shopping around and banging my head again this lap top screen trying to figure out which one I want. And the answer is literally right in front of me on the wall staring me in the face. Then a voice went off in my head "Hey ding bat, you HAVE ONE, why don't ya take yer kester outside and try er out" SO that's what I'm gonna do. Granted its not a rock lock and I'll get one of them in the future.

@yellowhammer, shred the tow sack material into individual fibers that can be rolled into a nest for the ball.
I really like Kapok better and it is available in bulk no taking anything apart to get the fibers. I have bought Jute Tow from several of the vendors who come to our muzzle shoots. Mike at Flintlocks LLC comes to mind they have a web site but you have to call them on the phone. A google search for Kapok fiber will bring up a ton of sources that sell the raw fiber. It was used as a filler in a lot of black powder cartridges. I pulled the bullet on a 43 Spanish Refremado cartridge and Kapok was used as the filler in it. Thought I had a picture of it but can't find it right now.

Last edited:
Appreciate all the thoughts and replies, gentlemen.
On a side note, when I hear the word kapok, I think back on the incredibly bulky WWII-surplus kapok-filled life vests my dad insisted on me wearing as a little kid in the 1950s. I can still hear him pumping up the surplus four-man life raft with its brass pump and fittings early on what was usually a rainy Northwest morning. Miss that guy.

Latest posts

Back