• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

58 Cal. Lyman

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjones1579

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Ever hear of a 58 cal. Lyman trade rifle from the factory in the early 80's? Found one online for sale. Never heard of one.

I have a 45 in the Plains rifle.Heard of 1 58 but never got to handle it to be sure.Here is a pic of the patch box.Mine has a very low 3 dig. ser #.

3419930440_982592e385.jpg

Make sure the barrel says "Lyman Middlefield Conn."

Cabelas sold the .58 as a hawken. Same as a trade rifle. I was lucky and got one of them. Nice to carry 15/16s barrel 29 inches. Wish I had bought a fint also. Larry Wv

All second hand because I've never owned one, but supposedly Lyman made them years ago and early in the models. But they got nervous about 58 cal in a 15/16" barrel and lawyered up, and quit making a 58 because none of their guns were set up for 1" barrels.

From what I've heard, they're really light and handy, but I'd expect max loads to be a lot less than with a 1" barrel. I've got a couple of the 58 cal T/C Big Boars with the 1" barrel, and they're plenty light and handy. I can just imagine how much lighter a 15/16" barrel would be. Not a criticism, and it actually sounds pretty good.

Brown Bear I shoot 110 grains of 2f be it prb or maxi. Knocking on wood. :) It is a pleasure to carry. Been useing it for Elk but got the .62 bug. Larry

Yup, that's the same gun. Thanks guys. I'll post back on how it shoots.

Lyman's old book lists a max load of 110 gr. 2F only

Based on my own shooting of 58's, 110 grains of 2f is plenty of geewhiz, and then some. In fact, I'm currently shooting 90 grains of 3f out of all of mine.

BB I agree but my brother says I always do things in to big a way :idunno: > To old to change now :) Larry

Jonesy - I picked up a .58 Lyman in trade last night. It's shows normal wear marks but appears basically in good usable condition. Debating whether to keep it or sell it;

PROS: It's a .58 :thumbsup:

CON: Percussion :idunno:

How much is the asking price for the .58 you saw?

Latest posts

Back