• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.58 cal. sporter and lyman GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ol_luke66

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a production sporter made with a 58 cal barrel? It seems like I used to see a few from T/C I think it was called the big bore. Maybe it was just a 54. At any rate, I want a round ball gun and I've been looking at Lyman's GPR. I've been reading on here and I haven't found anything negative yet. Does anyone know if I could get a .58 barrel for it. If not I'll probably go with a 54. The other option is a 54 cal deer stalker. I like the looks of it, the weight and the single trigger. Anyone shoot round balls through theirs? Thanks

Luke

I doubt thet you'll find a .58 barrel for the Lyman GPR as thet rifle has a 15/16 ('cross tha "flats") barrel. Most .58's thet I know of require at least 1" ('cross tha "flats").

I think you are correct 'bout T/C make'n a .58 Big Bore,.... a fella here by tha name'a Roundball, would probly know fer sure.

A .54 roundball will kill most anythin up to the size'a moose,.... in fact the "only" critter I think the .54 is'a mite unnergunned for, is grizzly bare.

YMHS
rollingb

Good/Bad news on 58 good looking rifles and carbines are available and on the used market can be gotten for the price of a GPR If your willing to go with a civil war style rifled musket or musketoon, The bad is they have shallow rifling which supposedly makes roundball shooting iffy
just an option,good luck
robert garner occupied georgia

Actualy, the 3-groove, shallow rifling, 72" twist of the 1970/80's Zouaves shot exceptionally well with patched round balls IF the combination was a snug one. I shot .575" balls in mine with .015" denim patch with up to 140gr. 2F with great accuracy to 100yds. and 300 meters on the 2' gong target.
: The Parker Hale 2-band .577" rifle with 48" twist also shot well, although it's rifling started out at .015" deep at the breech, but was only .005" deep at the muzzle. again, it required a snug combination that requires a short starter and a good smack (with your hand) to get the ball started.
: The Parker Hale 3 band rifle with the 76" twist or 78" twist also shot very well with patched round balls.
: The slower the twist, the shallower the rifling can be & still grip the ball easily, as well as shoot a variety of loads accuratly.
: Both Parker Hale rifles generally require a .570" to .562" ball as most people find the .575" ball a bit too tight.

Howdy -
RE: former production rifles - yes T/C made a .58 called the Big Bore, and many years ago the CVA Mountain Rifle was available in .58 . It was a very nice half-stock with a 1 " (across the flats) 32 inch barrel, pewter nose-cap, two captured keys and an excellent double set trigger. It was made with the old-fashioned drum instead of a snail and patent breech but it shot like a dream.

I had one, and once managed to put 3 patched round balls into a coke can at 100 yards off a sand-bagged bench.

sold it , of course :(

current production of .58's is pretty slim. But the good news is that a slow-twist 1 to 1 1/4 inch bbl .54 will take pretty much everything on this continant - including buffalo.

When it comes to grizz, I think I would prefer to have something more like an 8 bore elephant gun ....

best
shunka

You can still get a .58 cal from T/C. Go to the T/C web site and check out the custom shop. Cost is about 500.00$

Cost is about 500.00$

YEEEOOOOOWWWWW!!.... Ain't thet more'n what a new T/C rifle costs????????????????????

I would think TOTW could make up a .58 GM barrel fer'a T/C, at "half" thet price!!!! :m2c:

YMHS
rollingb

Yep, brand new T/C .58 Hawken cap buster for 499.95 or new .58 Renegade for 399.95 from www.foxridgeoutfitters.com, which is the T/C custom shop. If you've already got a Hawken or Renegade that has a barrel that's 1" across the flats, you can order a .58 barrel for it for 175.00 from the same people. Barrels are 1:48 twist and probably shallow groove.

Rollinb, what you got against new guns? :: Everyone should have one now and again. Besides, I feel bad if I don't send some $$ toward T/C occasionally. I've come to regard them as one of my favorite charities...the one with the most immediately satisfying return. It never fails; when I'm feelin' down I buy some T/C stuff and it cheers me right up. ::

Gotta support these U.S. companies, especially the good 'uns; they're an endangered species. :(
Bob

Short_Start,.... I misunnerstood Stoney's post, I thot jest a "custom barrel" alone from T/C's custom shop, was 'bout $500.00.

Sorry 'bout tha "misunnerstand'n", and yore right , a feller should buy all tha U.S. made muzzleload'n rifles he possibly can!! :: :thumbsup:

I however, buy the most U.S. made "parts" thet I can, and turn'em into rifles. :: :thumbsup:

YMHS
rollingb

Back