• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

58. Trouble

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirty Mike

40 Cal
Reaction score
I have a Tc Hawken 54 that last yr I sent in to hoyt. I got it back as a 58 1:60 twist Would shoot lights out 100grn 777 .570 Prb. I would get about a 1.5 inch group at 100.

This yr I'm trying to sight in and I'm all over the place. It has a peep everything seems tight. I've done charges from 70 to 100 different patches. Shot dirty barrel shot cleaning between shots. ONLY DIFFERENCE from last yr to this yr is I went from musket to Mag spark. Do you think magspark could be making the difference?

Do you think magspark could be making the difference?
Yep. Forget the exact number, but when I tried a Magspark velocity (based on a chronograph) changed and had more variation between shots, POI changed and group size grew. Other than that, all was good. The gun went boom. Imagine you could try different 209 primers if you want to add some more variation.

Maybe go back to what worked (call it a baseline) and see how it goes.

I have never had the ability to shoot good enough to worry about precision accuracy but have been told by those that can that as few as 10 shots can burn out a conventional steel nipple thus effecting accuracy. On the sister modern muzzleloader site I've read several Idaholewis's post where he goes into great detail about the nipple dimensions versus the powder charge affecting accuracy.

Regular 209s tend to be too hot for ML, including inlines. They generate too much pressure pushing the charge and projectile down the barrel for some distance before fully igniting the charge. The big three ( RP, WW and Federal) came out with a neuter 209 they dubbed 209ML that was basically a percussion cap on a 209 battery. They specifically advised no to use them for shotgun reloading as they may not ignite slow burning smokeless powders. They are generally chrome plated and will have a ML stamped on the primer cup. A musket cap will give you better results and a good quality nipple with a percussion cap will probably be even better.

We don't talk on inlines nor 209s.

Ain't kosher.

No sir.

Ain't.
Thank you for the heads up! Didn’t mean to discuss off topics that are not allowed but with the “shortage of caps” and lots of muzzleloaders unwillingness to prepare for “shortages” by not willing to do the math to see that buying a 1000 caps at a time to save in the long run, I posted to make make them aware of the “unbenfits” of going 209. Eventually, according to some we will go flint or stop shooting cap locks altogether! Sometimes is hard to discuss a topic in a bubble without referencing things that are relevant ( without “discussing” banned topics)!

“What do you say Mr. Wilson?l The Outlaw Josie Wales

Back