• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.58 vs .62

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with roundball.I have a .62 GM barrel rifled by ed rayl.I've taken it to the range an put 150 rounds through it shooting 80-130 grains of powder.for me the recoil wasn't a problem.Almost forgot It's in a T/C stock.I love this rifle.Getting it was the Best choice I ever made.

I have never let recoil play a part in my caliber selection. My .62 fowler is very light and with 95grs. of 3f it is still quite pleasant to shoot. I'd like to see some trajectories .62 vs. .58 with 100grns of powder, I know that a .50 or .54 are moving with that powder charge and should have a much flatter arc, I'd sure like to see a good comparison though. When I get my new .58 viginia rifle I will crony it vs. my fowler and get some real numbers. My current .58's barrels are shorter than my fowler barrel so it wouldn't be a fair comparision.

stalkerhawk said:
I'm with roundball.I have a .62 GM barrel rifled by ed rayl.I've taken it to the range an put 150 rounds through it shooting 80-130 grains of powder.for me the recoil wasn't a problem.Almost forgot It's in a T/C stock.I love this rifle.Getting it was the Best choice I ever made.
Glad to see you had the same results...Ed Rayl did an outstanding job adding the rifling to mine and I assume yours is very accurate as is mine.

Sure is Roundball. I copied what you used for patches and powder when I sighted in and was on paper grouping min of angle low to the right at 100 yrds took my time made my ajustments and I'm dead on at 100.I also took some shots at a thick phone book at 140 yards hit center and it looked like connfetti paper all over the ball punched a large hole right through.I started shooting black powder with a T/C .50 I could hit just about anything I could see.I loved that Rifle,but lost it in pawn about 8 years ago.I saw your postings and others about rifling the .62's and I did one.Now I think I have a favorite smoke pole again.Can't say enough about that gun.It'll do anything I want to it do.It's nothing special to look at just a straight foward plain jane hunting rifle with allot of WOMPABILITY!!!

You know it has been a while since I had that gun. The barrel was fairly short octagon to round, but the gun was heavy, it weighed about 12 pounds. I think it was a Sharon barrel. I tried it with 80 grains, 90 grains, 110 grains. It would shoot like a house afire out to 75 yards and then I never could hit anything at 100 yards. It may have been the nut behind the buttplate that was the problem.

Many Klatch

Swamp Rat said:
Geesh, well I just ordered a custom made 34" oct/round in .62 rifled and sure hope the gun don't weigh 12 lbs when done! :shocked2:

Isn't that the one that comes with a monopod support post with an oarlock on top?
:grin:

Man, this hobby is so addictive its incredible...I have accumulated a group of fine looking, mostly select stocks, several different calibers and gauges of Flintlocks, all upgraded, all fine tuned, showroon condition, proven to serve every hunting and weekend shooting need I have....yet here I am considering the possibility of getting something different :shake:

Back