• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

58cal hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a .58 cal virginia rifle for most of my big game hunting and have never recovered a ball from any game and that includes a pretty crappy shot on a bear that broke every bone conceivable bone in the front half of the bear.

roundball said:
BrownBear said:
Sad to say, there's no such thing as "filling the gap" once you get your first 58. After buying the first, you just won't be able to turn down the second... and the third... Heck, I'm up to four now, and I doubt I could walk away from a good deal on number five. :grin:

:hmm: :hmm:
Is that one of those....complusive disorders ? I have no such affliction ( :shake: )

As I approach retirement and the few remaining years of hunting, what am I doing ?????
Selling off a lifetime accumulation of centerfire rifles and shotguns and a few T/C Hawkens that I no longer used to finance a few full stock long guns that "I needed" !
.50cal Dickert / .58cal Virginia / .62cal Virginia smoothbore
And a two barrel .45/.54cal smoothbore Virginia being built.

My plan was to hold on to a few remaining T/C Hawkens (below) until the Virginias were done and in hand, but the bad news is I'm still struggling with the idea letting them go...hanging on tight to .45/.50cal x 1:66" rifles, two .54cal GM smoothbores, and a .62cal GM smoothbore...I rationalize that the 32" barrels will make the smoothbores a little better suited for some occasional skeet targets or calling in a crow, etc. And maybe a floor lamp for one, and one over the fireplace...

( so WHO has the disorder ??????? :hmm: :hmm: )

I hear ya....

I've decided on much the same course of action. I told my wife, even citing you as an example.

She summed it up as only a wife of 40+ years can do:

"Yeah, RIGHT!!!!!" :bull:

Back