• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

62 cal power

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDR

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello i am going to use a 62 cal to hunt elk i want a flat shooter and would like to use 140grs of 2f but i have destroyed the pillow ticking .018 would a paper card wad over the powder stop this or any advice it is a fifled barrel thanks jerry

Need more information.....to help
Bore size?
Round ball size?
Hard or soft lead?
Lube?
Land and grove depth?
How much ram rod resistance was there while loading ?

Easy way to measure bore size ...tap(wood mallet or the like) an over-sized rb halfway into bore..pull and measure....done!.... takes about 15 seconds.

Try a drywall screw or bullet screw puller to remove the ball.

I'm thinking smaller ball -thicker patch
Good luck....dan

crapshooter said:
Hello i am going to use a 62 cal to hunt elk i want a flat shooter and would like to use 140grs of 2f but i have destroyed the pillow ticking .018 would a paper card wad over the powder stop this or any advice it is a fifled barrel thanks jerry
Simply use a .62cal Oxyoke prelubed "Wonderwad" on top of the powder to serve as a firewall to protect the patch.
Among other BP suppliers, Track of the Wolf carries them...bag of 100 costs about $10 last I bought.

An easy way to slug a muzzleloader barrel is to get a peace of steel rod just a tad smaller then bore diameter and about eight inches long. This is for weight. Slide it down the barrel first. Then follow it with an over size ball as stated. You only have to hammer it into the barrel a couple of inches. Turn the muzzle down letting the steel rod pound the ball back out of the barrel. You just let the rod slide back and forth until the ball comes out. It will only take three or four slides to get it back out.

Two Shot

Two Shot said:
An easy way to slug a muzzleloader barrel is to get a peace of steel rod just a tad smaller then bore diameter and about eight inches long. This is for weight. Slide it down the barrel first. Then follow it with an over size ball as stated. You only have to hammer it into the barrel a couple of inches. Turn the muzzle down letting the steel rod pound the ball back out of the barrel. You just let the rod slide back and forth until the ball comes out. It will only take three or four slides to get it back out.

Two Shot

I've used this method too, but wrapped the steel rod in masking tape to protect the bore. Just choose a rod with a bit smaller diameter knowing that applying tape will widen the whole contraption some.

roundball said:
crapshooter said:
Simply use a .62cal Oxyoke prelubed "Wonderwad" on top of the powder to serve as a firewall to protect the patch.Among other BP suppliers, Track of the Wolf carries them...bag of 100 costs about $10 last I bought.

Ditto :thumbsup:

I have a .620 rifle with a 1 1/8" tapered barrel, 35" long. I believe it is a 1 in 80 or 1 in 72 twist. I've got great accuracy using a .610 soft lead ball with a thinner cotton denim patch. It's a tight fit, and I have to use a short starter and a 1/2" ramrod. However; I can still get a second and third shot without wiping between shots. My patches come out in good enough shape to re-use.

I have used up to 180 gr. 2F with good results, but that load is punishing.

85gr FFFg, bear-grease lubed ticking patch and 0.600 ball is what I use.

crapshooter said:

As for loads, you have stated what you want.
Shoulder buster IMHO, but if ye want it, go fer it.
Dunno why your patches were "destroyed" but the wad idea might help as others commented on. Normally, I see no need for wads in rifle with prb.
It might be that you are using a "fifled" barrel. :wink: :rotf:

Crapshooter: In 2007 i killed a cow elk in Colorado with my 20ga English fowler. The load was as follows: 90gr/3fg, 1/2 of a lubed cushion wad, 600RB, w/greased .010 patch. The shot was at 26yds, slightly downhill,and took out both shoulder blades. The ball was found under the offside skin with minor deformation caused by the bone contact. Hope this helps! BTW: they always taste better when ya killem with a flintlock!!

thanks for the replys 140 grs is a wicked load i will conograff the load maybe it isnt gaining much over 80-90 grs by the way the barrel is not a fifled it is rifled thanks jerry

crapshooter said:
thanks for the replys 140 grs is a wicked load i will conograff the load maybe it isnt gaining much over 80-90 grs by the way the barrel is not a fifled it is rifled thanks jerry
=========================================================================

testing my Rice 31" round radius 62 cal
3f..80 gr 1280 fps ......3f 130 gr 1608 fps

130 grains of 3Fg powder behind a .610 patched roundball would seems like it would do just as much damage to the shooter as it would the critter ya shooten at! :shocked2:

-matt

Robby said:
Its all about good architecture. :thumbsup:
Robby
Gun fit is definitely a major influence...the space volume in big bores is also a factor as it relates to pressure.
I only use a moderate powder charge of 110grns in my .62cal for close range whitetails in the woods and it's basically a powder-puff load in that big spacious bore.
I also believe a lot of comments about recoil get made by people who have never spent time at the range or hunting with larger bores like .58's and .62's.

roundball said:
Gun fit is definitely a major influence...the space volume in big bores is also a factor as it relates to pressure.
I only use a moderate powder charge of 110grns in my .62cal for close range whitetails in the woods and it's basically a powder-puff load in that big spacious bore.
I also believe a lot of comments about recoil get made by people who have never spent time at the range or hunting with larger bores like .58's and .62's.

I guess the 60 grains of 2f at 84 yards at the doe I killed was just dumb luck.. :idunno:

I made my 62 Cal Hawken to fit me, so it really doesn't hurt when I shoot offhand or from a sitting position. I have used it with heavy loads,(1/2 the ball weight of 2f powder)for offhand matches, and won many of them. No bruises the next day, and no flinching. Yet, I have a 50 cal. hawken with a 1 1/8" straight barrel, that will bruise my shoulder and cheek If I'm not careful. Once, I let someone else shoot my 62 with a 180 gr. 2f load, and he ended up with a bloody nose. It just didn't fit him right.

I get by with 90 gr. 2f now if I shoot this rifle. Hardly kicks at all.

SANY0057 by okawbow, on Flickr

Back