• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

62 cal power

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roy said:
roundball said:
Gun fit is definitely a major influence...the space volume in big bores is also a factor as it relates to pressure.
I only use a moderate powder charge of 110grns in my .62cal for close range whitetails in the woods and it's basically a powder-puff load in that big spacious bore.
I also believe a lot of comments about recoil get made by people who have never spent time at the range or hunting with larger bores like .58's and .62's.

I guess the 60 grains of 2f at 84 yards at the doe I killed was just dumb luck.. :idunno:

Yes, you should have doubled the charge to kill it dedder.
Now, how long will it take for me to get slapped down again for trying to make a point using a little humor?

Roy said:
roundball said:
Gun fit is definitely a major influence...the space volume in big bores is also a factor as it relates to pressure.
I only use a moderate powder charge of 110grns in my .62cal for close range whitetails in the woods and it's basically a powder-puff load in that big spacious bore.
I also believe a lot of comments about recoil get made by people who have never spent time at the range or hunting with larger bores like .58's and .62's.

I guess the 60 grains of 2f at 84 yards at the doe I killed was just dumb luck.. :idunno:
:hmm:
I have no idea how or why you killed it...nothing in my comments that you quoted was oriented towards championing big heavy loads as a requirement...you should use whatever you can handle the best.

I was making a reference to your comment about powder puff loads at modest ranges. I killed the deer for food. I shot at a range that I knew that I could accurately with the gun I was using. A pass through shot breaking the off side leg bone is a bit more than over kill.. I think most will agree.

Now I will say if I was shooting something about the size of a cow I would probably use a touch more powder... But this has nothing to do with your statement earlier.

Rifleman1776 said:
by the way the barrel is not a fifled it is rifled

My attempts at humor often fall flat but, I guess, I'm just too dense to stop trying for a laugh now and then. I hope the winky :wink: and ROLF icons :rotf: didn't confuse you.
not at all i thought it was cute and right on thanks Jerry

Back to the topic, it matters HOW the patches are getting destroyed. Are they getting cut by the muzzle crown, cut by rifling, or chewed up by gas blow-by. If the former, the sharp edge of the crown needs to be broken just a bit. 600grit emory paper and the ball of your thumb will do the job in < 5 minutes. Just turn the gun every 30 seconds or so to make sure it is even all the way around. Sharp rifling will dull after 50-100 shots, so keep shooting. If it is windage, try a different/thicker patch, and or a different lube.

Trying 140-150gr of 1F might help as well. Or backing down to 130gr of 2F

With a properly set up ball/patch/lube combo, there should not be a need for anything under the ball but powder.

There may be a point where powder is blown out instead of combusting in the barrel, but we aren't anywhere near that point. Energy vs powder charge remain nearly linear far above what the manufacturer will recommend for any barrel. Note that VELOCITY will begin to drop off per 5 gr. increment, but energy is still increasing. What that is buying is increased point-blank range. Rice ran some .62 barrels recently that were good for up to 200gr, which netted 2000 fps or so from a 34" barrel. May have been 36" or 38". that should get you a 3" point blank range out to 110-120 yards.

Back