• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.62 pet PRB hunting loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bretwalda

40 Cal.
Reaction score
If you are hunting with a .62 PRB do you have a "pet load" that you have found effective for the caliber? What has the performance of the gun been in the field? I am looking at getting a .62 percussion rifled barreled gun (1 turn in 92") and would appreciate the wisdom/experience of others on this caliber with big game hunting :confused:

Bretwalda said:
If you are hunting with a .62 PRB do you have a "pet load" that you have found effective for the caliber? What has the performance of the gun been in the field? I am looking at getting a .62 percussion rifled barreled gun (1 turn in 92") and would appreciate the wisdom/experience of others on this caliber with big game hunting :confused:

80grains FFFg, pillow ticking patch lubed with bore butter and a 0.600 RB works for me.

Bretwalda said:
I am looking at getting a .62 percussion rifled barreled gun (1 turn in 92") and would appreciate the wisdom/experience of others on this caliber with big game hunting

I bought a GM 1" x 33" .62cal Flint smoothbore barrel and had Ed Rayl add .012" x 1:72" rifling.

My woods shots are close in the 30-50 yard range so I just settled on a mid range powder charge.
100grns Goex FFg (2F)
Oxyoke prelubed wad
.020" pillow ticking (Natural Lube 1000)
Cast .600" / 325grn ball

Devastating of whitetails of course and as accurate as you'd want a rifle to be.

80gr. 3f .600 pillow ticking patched ball, will punch through a deer broad side even after hitting the shoulder blade ribs and femur.

My plinking load is 57gr FFF, my Tulle really likes it.

For hunting I bump it up to 85gr FFF

That being said I am 2 for 2 meat hunting does with the plinking load.

I use a .610 bare ball, loaded the same way as a shot load.

Hope this helps

I have a 12 bore, but I have to go with cptleo here. 60 grains is gods plenty for my smoothie. No whitetail alive is going to stop that big ol ball, even at modest velocity. My 12 seems to shoot better at that loading also, or maybe it is just less flinch out of me. :hmm:

BillinOregon said:
Roundball: How does your load group at 100 yards, if you shoot that far?
I zeroed it at 50yds into a single ragged hole and never even bothered to try it at 100...where I hunt 60-70yds would be a rare long shot.
And remembering my .62cal is a "rifle", I would fully expect it would group at 100yds like every other rifled caliber I have...but I've not actually done that so I can't swear to it.

Roundball:
I asked because I just received a Pacific Zephyr .62 underhammer from a a member here. It has the 1:144 Forsythe rifling and calls for a 175-grain charge for a "full" load. I am eager to see how she shoots at 100. Hoping for close to two inches.

BillinOregon said:
"...calls for a 175-grain charge for a "full" load..."
Wow...glad to see that...I get a lot of grief about using max or near-max powder charges for my big game hunting, and that mind you is only 90-100 grns...many just use 60-70grns which for me personally are just target loads and I won't use light loads on deer...so if you experiment with larger charges post the results for sure.

PS: You may need to get your Wife to assist as a 'loader'
:hmm:

(or to relocate your shoulder in its socket)
:grin:

I have a G/M 62 that Ed Rayl rifled .012 x1/72 twist, 90 grs. tripple 7, 600 rb, pillow tic. 100yds holds 3,4 inch . I think it will group better than I can hold on a bench with 63 year old eyes. hope this will help.

Back