• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.62 smoothbore as an all around gun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in the smoothie camp as well. Trade guns, fowlers, civilian or military.
Ball or shot they are all purpose arms.

Attachments

• IMG_20240922_205644612~2.jpg
    IMG_20240922_205644612~2.jpg
    1.3 MB
I love my two smoothbore fusils, I have a half dozen custom flintlock rifles that are great shooters, the reason I don't shoot them as much as I do my smoothbore flinters is because they are getting too heavy, age and health have taken their toll on this old man.
However, fair discloser, while good quality smoothbore fusils, muskets, and trade guns are accurate at shorter ranges one, shouldn't expect 100 yd. rifle accuracy from a smoothbore using patched round balls, both of my fusils will virtually stack balls at 25 yds, shoot within 4" at 50 yds., and will keep all shots within an 8" paper plate at 100 yds.
Shot patterns when properly loaded can be as close to modern shotguns out to 40 yds. which makes a smoothbore an excellent hunting gun IMHO.

I've seen those but my biggest concern is with the experience that I have with cap lock firearms isn't good, the caps have always been loose fitting and easily fall off, and I'd be hunting squirrels and rabbits in the extremely thick cherry laurels in which I'd be crawling on my hands and knees, caps can easily fall off in all those branches, that's a big concern with cap lock firearms
Pinch the cap oval before placing it on nipple. It will stay put.

Back