• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.62 smoothbore for turkey?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're 20 ga.

However, I've found they're a little heavy for most turkeys to handle and they can't get their talons into the guard of a double set trigger gun.

:rotf:

Of course they can take a turkey...

I've sometimes been a bit amused that muzzleloader shooters generally accept the 20 gauge as the standard for hunting turkeys, but centerfire shooters seem to believe that anything smaller than a 12 gauge is silly, and 10 gauge is even better.

A lot of modern people think "more is better" not only with guns but with almost everything.

Many shooters won't admit it but they want the larger gun to make up for their inability to shoot well.

Their greed also makes them want the larger gun so they can take shots at greater ranges than they should be shooting. Here again, they want the larger gun to extend their range and award them with a kill.

This modern thinking leads to too many wounded animals that "get away". :(

Zonie said:
A lot of modern people think "more is better" not only with guns but with almost everything.

Many shooters won't admit it but they want the larger gun to make up for their inability to shoot well.

Their greed also makes them want the larger gun so they can take shots at greater ranges than they should be shooting. Here again, they want the larger gun to extend their range and award them with a kill.

Amen!

trent/OH said:
I've sometimes been a bit amused that muzzleloader shooters generally accept the 20 gauge as the standard for hunting turkeys, but centerfire shooters seem to believe that anything smaller than a 12 gauge is silly, and 10 gauge is even better.
It's a conditioned response we,as muzzleloaders, find amusing. I've seen both deer and turkey taken with a .410 and no.#6 shot. Granted you could have spit just about as far as both shots were taken,, just saying. As muzzleloaders we've accepted the limitations that's just a part of our sport because of velocities capable with our guns. Shots with ball, conicals and shot are necessarily more limited because of the lower initial velocity, probably more open chokes (except jugged chokes) and components. Anyone capable of putting together a good group or pattern can have complete success if operating within the accepted limitations.

I was fortunate to have been able to have been a part of the process of getting a special "Muzzleloading" season in Texas. We all accepted the limitations inherent with the guns to work out a bore requirement for the sport. I can tell you that we had absolutely no conception of where the sport would go and how synthetic powders, unmentionable firearms and plastic components would impact the sport we loved...no conception at all. It's like trying to synchronize rotary phone with modern digital technology! :doh:

I can tell you that we had absolutely no conception of where the sport would go and how synthetic powders, unmentionable firearms and plastic components would impact the sport we loved...no conception at all. It's like trying to synchronize rotary phone with modern digital technology!

Agree. In AZ we can hunt a bull elk with ANY muzzle loading rifle. So my 10 gr .32 squirrel load is legal....but I cannot hunt much of anything with my ROA? Guys setting rules never saw a muzzleloader other than mel gibson in the Patriot! I would love to see a primitive only season here.

Yeah, our rules were set up when most of us knew Davy Crockett, Navy Arms and Civil war muskets. We bowed to Minie balls because they ere historic and usable...didn't seem like something anyone we knew would abuse the system. Times change and regs should too. I too now with we'd gone with "primitive" in the mix but never thought it would ever me necessary...guns were wood, steel and nearly all side locks and loaded balls or Minies. Simple and, it seems, so were we. :wink: :haha:

Anyone can take a nice bull with a in-line, nothing more than a single shot CF in my opinion :idunno: Takes a man to get close to ol Bufford and knock his socks off with a PRB :)

Same with a bp shotgun. Just sit still a lil longer and let ol Tom strut a few more yards (and sometimes he does!)

Just two years ago Minnesota "upgraded" it's laws to allow the use of 20 gauge muzzleloaders for turkey. Prior to that a 12 gauge was the minimum for muzzleloader while modern firearms in 20 gauge were legal.

In response to our DNR's request for public input, I sent in load data that showed that reasonable 20 gauge muzzleloading loads could overlap the loads (velocity at certain shot loads) of legal modern gun 20 gauge shotshells. I received a positive response from our DNR for the data submission.

Starting with the spring season of 2013, 20 gauge muzzleloaders became legal and I killed my first turkey with my 62 caliber/20 ga Virginia smooth rifle.

Zonie said:

Bang on :hatsoff:

B.

Kentucky is suppose to implement a new law that will allow .410 for turkey and they traditionally allow the equivalent muzzle loader. I plan on trying a .54 cal smoothbore with One ounce of Number 6 and 80 or 90 gr of FFFG.
13 turkey have fallen to my .620 colerain turkey choke barrel so far. Two at 42 yards.

Pat Cameron

You bet it is!!!
This was the sixth bird I put on the ground with #6 shot over 80 grains of FF coming out of a Cylinder bore .62 cal trade gun! As you can see I don't use Camo or pop up blind! Runnin' and Gunnin' and then sitting really still while hunkered down in the closest bushes! Camo Companies have everyone fooled into thinking you need Camo to be successful! Same mentality that says bigger is better. I think Not! Learn Your Quarry, and know your tools! Good Luck!

ps: But always stay within the law! As silly as some are. :grin:

Copyofturkey2011a.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Latest posts

Back