• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.62 Underhammer Smoothbore Project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The mortar takes a little more than 600 to put one out of sight. With that charge the ball go about 300 yards but if you put 1/3 rd of a can in then you don't know where it is going to come down.

Ahhhh the famous 62 cal Zep barrel, well it will find a good home here, Ill just skip the 2,000 plus for the rest of that one! :grin: Thanks John, GMWW,..........Fred :hatsoff:

I know your going to like that barrel Fred. John does good work.

Getting back to the build. A couple of other issues I had too address with the kit was some minor fitting. The hammer and trigger did not quite fit onto the pins that screw into the frame. I found this same problem with the first kit I got from Deer Creek. It is an easy fix of taking some sand paper or a file in my case and lightly touching the pins up until the hammer and trigger slid on.

Like the Deer Creek stock the cut at the front of the stock was too short and did not flush against the frame. Having a dremil and a chisel I went to town and started taking off some wood. I got it pretty close but just a smidge short. In the frame where the stock fits it narrows. So as you tighten down on the stock, it compresses the wood narrower.

Another issue was the stock screw and rear stock I received from Numrich arms. The rear stock hole for the screw is drilled at a different depth than the Deer Creek stock. The Deer Creek screw is too long. The screw from Numrich is not only too short but also the wrong thread size.

I'm thinking it is the thread size for the old H&A's. The correct thread size is 1/4 x 28.
I checked at my local contractors hardware store only to find out they did not have a screw any longer than what Numrich Arms sent. Here is what I came up with for now.

I purchased a threaded 1/4 x 28 rod, a length of metal tubing to fit into the stock, two washers and a couple of nuts. I screwed the rod into the frame and put on the stock. I then cut the rod to be flush with the back of the stock. I cut the tube to be about 1/2" below that. I put a washer onto the rod followed by the tube and then another washer. I then put the nut on and tightened it all down.

When I tightened it all down, it pushed the stock flush against the frame creating a nice tight fit. Seems to have worked. I added a spacer to the rear but plate so the protruding threaded rod would fit. I wanted it to protrude a little so it would be easier to put the nut on. It only protrudes about 3/32".

You should have asked for a stock screw while you were here, could have made one in about 10 minuts. Sounds like you got it fixed.

John I just tryed out GMWWs way, this way might of kept heavy barrel stocks from splittin? If you have a 1 1/8 X 48" like mine you worry about that 12 1/2 pound or barrel hanging on with that long or short screw, even the 42" targets have to have a heavy load up front, NOT a problem with 30" X 1,and bored 62/20 its a true lite weight , my kids out blasting away with lower charges today only 120 grs 2f (keeps the people around here from yelling when he sets off those 150s!) :rotf: Fred :hatsoff: ( nice mortar, Ive got a !/4 size, I asked if I could use my smaller 6 pounder in the X stick shoot :rotf: answer was can you put a stock on it :rotf: FRED

Well I sanded down the stock and put in some grain filler. Never used grain filler before. This stuff sucked. It was like trying to rub in sand. You'd think they'd make it more like a soft thin mud. After it dried I sanded the stock back down and could see where the sand... err grain filler went in and where it didn't. :cursing:

I now have three coats of tru-oil on the stocks. I chose not to stain the stock as I wanted the natural walnut look. Simultaniously I'm doing the browning of the metal. I have three coats on it too. Waiting for the third coat to be finished so I can add more. I'll probably put one two more coats with the last sitting over night. In the morning if it is deep brown enough I'll add the baking soda to stop the process. I'll post some photos soon. Mean while here it is put together in the white and stock sanded.

393873.JPG

Ive always tryed a little darker stain in that stuff when putting it on, may help, it has on a pair of org old H+A stocks. FRED :hatsoff:

From 20 yds he can get 3 on a paper dish anywhere from 2 to 3" acros to 2' to 6" across, with 60 or so charge , with 130 up he can still hit the tree, but it lifts one leg off the ground! :rotf:FRED :hatsoff:

I've got five coats on the metal now and its looking almost done. Not sure if I'll leave it brown or blue it with boiling water.

Zonie, I don't have a container that will hold the barrel for the hot water. Can I just lay it in the tub and pour boiling water over it? Or does it have to sit? Not sure if boiling water is good for my fiberglass or whatever they make it out of bathtub.

Well after finishing the sanding of the metal and stock I started on the final finish for them. I chose to use Tru-oil on the unstained stock. I put on a total of 6 coats.

I also browned the metal parts using Laurel Mountain Forge solution. It too received 6 coats. The first photo shows the frame after 3 hours on the first coat. Also in the picture is the threaded rod, metal tubing for a spacer, washer and nut.

394046.JPG

The last photo is of the finished frame after 6 coats. I tried pouring boiling water over it to turn it black. Didn't work. :shake: Maybe I need to boil it for a bit. Beings I don't have a pot big enough for the barrel, I'm going to pass as I want everything the same.
394047.JPG

I just finished coating the metal with gun oil and the brown turned a very dark chocolate brown. It is put together and sitting in front of me. Missing are the sights. I've got a couple of sights I'm thinking of putting on. John sold me a front sight and gave me a rear sight. Being's this is going to be used mostly for bird shot I won't need a peep sight.

As far as naming her, I'm thinking it might be Ruth. I'm hoping she will live up to her name and be faithful and devoted.

Not being the most mechanically inclined I think the Underhammer came out pretty good. Of course I couldn't have done it without John's help. Maybe someday I'll learn how to inlet. In the mean time, I'll be happy with the simple kit guns with the funny name.

Here are a couple of finished photos of her.
394110.JPG
394111.JPG

After I find a sight, load development will be next. The saga continues. :thumbsup:

Looks good :thumbsup: I am sure you will have fun shooting it.

I should have let you take mine home to put finish on the action and barrel, I get a little lazy working on my own stuf

Great work by the both of you! John has done work for me in the past and it was all first rate. 48" barrel, eh? Hmmmmmm.

cp.gif

I'll try and post it's ugly twin in a few days G. FRED :hatsoff: Out of all the UHs Ive had to shoot the 62/20 is as fun as the 48"er. :grin:

Back