• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.62cal/.20ga Paper Shot Cup / Turkey Load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Roundball I misplaced the other one you sent. Rocky
wink.gif

That sounds really great to me. How do you pack the empty shot cups into the field?

Years ago (many) when I was doing lots of ML shotgunning and there wasn't much info around, I read about and used a solution that was simple and worked really well, but was about as far from "authentic" as you can get:

Use plastic shot cups intended for shotshell reloading and overshot-cards. The author claimed and I confirmed that with the original shot cup you get darn near full-choke patterns from a cylinder bore, but if you cut the petals on the cup to about half-length you get modified patterns, 1/4-length gives improved cylinder, and removing the petals entirely give something between cylinder and skeet 1.

You could carry unaltered cups into the field and cut them to length when loading, as conditions dictated. In my 12 gauge double a full-length shot cup and 1 1/4 or 1 3/8 ounces of 4's or 5's shot better than I could hold out beyond 40 yards, and with standard powder charges, really whacked mallards when you managed to overlap the pattern with them. I used half-petals in the right barrel and 1/4 petals in the left for really nice Modified and Improved Cylinder "chokes" out of my cylinder-bore double 20 for snowshoe hare.

If I were to use these again, I think your idea of putting Oxyoke patches over the powder charge would be a real improvement, because there was quite a bit of fouling with the plastic cups by themselves.

Not saying this is as good as what you came up with, rather that it worked when there was not much else to go on. Instinctively I like your idea a lot better than packing a pocket full of plastic wads.

Thanks for figuring out an alternative and passing along the results!

And I do use the top half of .12ga shotshell wads in my .12ga Navy Arms double for doves...it's a percussion and I didn't mind using something modern in it like the plastic wads.

However, .62cal is a smoothbore flintlock and while I'm not a purist by any means, I wanted to try something (paper cups) that the old timers might well have thought of back then too, given that we know there were paper patched bullets, etc.

And the only negative about Oxyoke prelubed wads is that they're annoyingly expensive...wish there was a way to duplicate them at home but never heard of anyone being successful trying...the good news is that I don't take large volumes of shots with the smoothbores, just using them for occasional hunting

For Yrs. we've made .62 shot capsules by wrapping a dowel and a 24 ga wad with paper and folding and gluing it over the wad. Removing the dowel, pouring in the shot and folding and gluing over the shot. Dump your powder down the barrel, seat the capsule on
top of it. Quick, easy, good patterns. I always keep a bunch of them in my smoothbore pouch.
Deadeye

quote:Originally posted by BrownBear:
That sounds really great to me. How do you pack the empty shot cups into the field?
The best thing I have found to carry my fowler stuff in are Altoid (SP) can. You know those mints. The tin they come in is great for carring thing and if you go the extra effort you can antique them. What I do is get a torch (you can use the burner on your grill) (do this outside) and burn the paint off. Once the paint is burnt, take a piece of sandpaper and lightly sand it off. The container is made out of tin so it wont brown but you can put some solution on it and it was rust it a bit.
they are really ggreat to put wads/cards and even cartridges, they will hold 3-4. Hope this helps.

Slowpoke

I've saved up a couple dozen of those altoid tins over the years because they were just too neat to discard...but after one try, decided against them because they're one more thing to make an unexpected noise, and they're not waterproof.

So not being a purist, I treat myself to the modern convenience of using small 3" X 5" very heavy duty zip loc type bags that I ordered from a plastics manufacturer...keeps everything dry, separate, and quiet.

Back