• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

65 Cal Tower Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WALKERs210

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Went thru my loads for all the black powde rifles and pistols I have on hand. I have the flints on order along with the ticking an shot for my new Tower. First question I had was on what would be a safe but meaty load using buck and ball for fist shot then will go to single shots. I waa giving thought about 50 gr of 3f for first few shots. Is that too much, not enouh, or close to what it needs.

For a pistol with buck and ball that seems like a pretty heavy powder charge. I think the more the projectile weighs the more the recoil. Why a buck and ball load from a pistol? Never heard of that.

Buck & Ball is because I never tried it in a smooth bore pistol. 50G of powder was way over what I felt would be necessary that's why I wanted to ask. Have shot for the Tower on the way now but thought I'd play with it before the order showed up

Dixie Gunworks catalog has a listing of the standard loads originally used back at the time various muzzleloading guns were common.

It says a .69 cal Tower Flint Pistol used a .650 diameter ball loaded over a 35 grain powder charge.

I suspect that even a 30 grain powder charge with the heavy ball or buck & ball you plan on shooting will give you all the recoil you want (and then some).

Most likely I will chicken out and load it down, getting to the point now that I don't like major recoil, but do love the smoke. Sounds like 30 will or should be the max load. Probably will start out around 20g
Thanks everyone

I'm not recommending this, but I've used 60grns of 3F in my rifled .50 Kentucky pistol flintlock. Not very accurate, but the wow factor is there.

I had a pair of .64/.66 Tower pistols. I found that 35 grains of 3F was all the fun that I needed when shooting buck and ball. One roundball and 3 or 4 buckshot. I got a custom .64 roundball mould from Jeff Tanner and with that particular Tower pistol I could keep the shots in a 24" circle at 15 yards.

Many Klatch

I-ve been doing buck n ball w my Howdah, but, it's a dble barrel. Are you loading buck, firing then quickly reloading w ball?
As to charge, I was using 30 grains of 2FF and found it to be more than satisfactory.

Late to the party. I have on my desk a .67 Tower from the 60's Japan origin. I shot up to 60 gr. FFFg. Then tried 777 same volume. I was very let down with speed. Goex went right at 700 fps with firm patched ball. The more potent 777 went 800 and that's topped out.

This is considered to be beyond max.(!!!) and I listed it for information only.

The service load of 35 gr. or so probably is running only 500-550 fps. Very anemic. I didn't have the heart to chronograph that. I had thoughts of sneaking up on a hog with it and have now put those thoughts away. I also have a .62 Howdah SXS and my best load runs only 750 fps using 777. Black again was about 700 fps with 60 grs. I just don't think you can get much speed from a Smoothbore short barrel.

In a 12 bore double SXS (Navy Arms) I got about 1000 fps using 100-120 grs. FFg and patched .690's. Barrels crossed at about 40 yds., was useful to about 50. Although I shot under a Doe from a tree stand.

Not that this is a final word, it's just what I found in some backyard testing. To stay impressed keep clear of chronographs. Buckshot is totally useless past 20 ft. from what I've found in the short barrel handgun.

Latest posts

Back