• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

69 Caliber Flintlock Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nero

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I have a 69 caliber (Replica) flintlock pistol.
if using .662" round ball &
FFG power, what power charge would be recommended ?
I have some FFFG power that I use for other black power shooting I'm not sure about using this with this flintlock pistol.
This will be my 1st experience with a flintlock pistol so I'm being cautious.

For a pistol that's pretty close to the one you own, Dixie Gunworks recommends a powder charge of 35 grains.
I would keep the powder charge to less than that. Say, 25 grains.

Many of the pistols made in Japan back in the 1970's and early '80's were not high quality guns.
In fact, some of them were borderline dangerous.

Give your pistols barrel a good examination looking for multiple piece construction or a welded in breech plug.

nero said:
The only marking on it is: "Japan 960" & "Ultra -K1

I suspect that actually says Ultra-Hi, which was the name of a muzzleloader importer a long time ago.

I just checked some of my old blackpowder books and I can only find one .69 pistol from Ultra-Hi, the Continental Army Pistol. No details given other than caliber.

I scanned the page. Is this it?

19429939346_5fa62bd071_b.jpg

Most such pistols have lock springs that are too weak or too strong. The frizzens often need work as well

There used to be "Tower" pistols advertised in all of the gun mags for $29.95.

I would suspect most fall into the category of decorating items or props for a pirate costume.

nhmoose said:
If the breech is screwed in and not welded I would shoot it with light charges.

Bad springs and soft frizzen can be fixed if you got the pistol CHEAP IMHO

Have fun but safely. Welcome to the forum

Just a question to all - has anyone ever seen one of these pistols with a welded breechplug? I've owned several and worked on a few and have seen where the tang was welded on - the weld was obvious from underneath the tang - but I've never seen a bead run all around the plug as if to hold it in. Not saying it didn't happen; just wondering if anyone has actually seen one personally?

I think you will have frizzen problems and it won't be reliable, so don't judge other flintlocks by this one. It's a smoothbore so I don't believe 35 grains will be a problem. Sell it and get a better quality pistol.
Nit Wit

I had a pair of these once. After extensive reworking they were somewhat reliable. I never shot more than 25 grains in them. They were accurate to about 15 feet.

Sneezy, I have had one of these for 30(?) years and the breech is exactly as you describe. There is no evidence that plug is welded in but there is no screw slot or lug on it to screw it in. I would have to assume that was cut off after the plug was installed. The tang is welded on and part of the weld bead is out on the plug.

81c8de18-1fbe-4919-a161-a577696ea285_zpsr0isbrcy.jpg
[/URL][/img] ] Mine is the same as Hawkeye 2s Ive fired a couple hefty loads over the years always wadded.I got mine from Jas Townsend many moons ago and it still sparks like crazy,In all the years I think it missed fire twice
I shoot 35 2F 640 rd ball cartridge

Long ago (about 50 years) when I was an undergrad (when handguns were unlawful to carry but ML weren't considered firearms there), I had a similar flintlock ML that a local friend converted to percussion for me.
(As a flinter, it didn't spark well, even after a lot of "messing about" with the lock.)

Loaded with .32cal lead pistol balls, it had a decent pattern on paper to 20M, was quite INTIMIDATING & STOPPED an attempted car-jacking W/O firing it. = ONE glance down that big bore sent the thug fleeing for his life.
(The pistol also took any number of rabbits & squirrels for the pot.)

yours, satx

Latest posts

Back