• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.69 CALIBER LOADS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

General

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Just picked up a replica Springfield 1847 rifled .69 caliber.

Never fussed with a 69 but it looked too pretty to pass up.

Can you all guide me with some suggested loads for the musket?

Thanks--Wheelock

I was shooting 70 to 90 grains of FFg and a .678 roundball with a .015 spit lubed patch out of mine before I retired it...

It would depend on what you have available. The M1842 Springfield was originally a smoothbore and thousands were rifled in the 1850's. A round ball load like the one Musketman describes would probably do a great job.

When the original '42's were rifled, oversized Minie bullets ( called expanding balls by the Ordnance Dept.) were used in them. They averaged, depending on the depth of the cavity, about 680 to 710 grains in weight. The powder charge was set by the Ordnance Dept. for this bullet at 70 grains of musket powder which is about the same as ffg., maybe a tad coarser. You can experiment with lighter or heavier loads though you won't want to go much heavier due to the need to keep the recoil at an acceptable level. If your musket has the proper long range sight on it, you'll probably find that it is sighted for use with a Minie. 69 cal. Minie molds are probably harder to come by, though with more repro .69 rifled muskets on the market now, there is the chance that there are more available than in recent years.

Musketman has a pretty good load there to start with and he knows what he is talking about. As with any round ball load, there is a lot of room to play with and you can work up whatever works best for your particular gun. As with any military musket, there is a chance that it will shoot high with the Minie. It may be perfect with a roundball. In either case, you may have to do a little filing of the sights. Good luck. It sounds like you have made a great purchase.

69 is a 14 gauge, so you can get 14 ga. wads for shotguns and use it for bird shot also. There are several places on the web to find ML shotgun loads and shooting info.

NEVER MIND....I JUST SAW THE "RIFLED" PART!!!!!!!

:shake:

Wheellock said:
Just picked up a replica Springfield 1847 rifled .69 caliber.

Never fussed with a 69 but it looked too pretty to pass up.

Can you all guide me with some suggested loads for the musket?

Thanks--Wheelock

I shoot an original rifled '42(AKA 1847). The bore was pretty rough when I bought it, so I had it relined by Bob Hoyt. I use the Rapine wadcutter minie that weighs "only" 500 gr., over 70 gr. of 2F. Recoil is not a problem. I have shot patched .678 balls over 90 gr.of 2F, but I prefer the minie. If you're not into casting, then you're stuck using roundball.

Latest posts

Back