• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

69 Caliber Buck 'n Ball Ammo?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buck and ball loadings per all the known US ordnance manuals of the era list .65 ball with 3x 00 bucks on top. You most likely have a difficult time getting 3x 000 bucks to stack properly.
Just asking... Should there be any change in pattern with the buck loaded on top of wad and then ball vs the buck over the ball?

I tried both with my BP 12 ga double and I could not see any real change in the pattern. I just decided to keep them loaded that way buck on top in left and bottom on right since I knew the general pattern. I can't say for sure, but I believe both of my barrels are choked the same.

Good question. I wondered why he didn’t offer me the musket at a discount. I would definitely want to know before hand what was wrong with it. So after looking around for a 1842 smoothbore, I ordered a Kimber 20 gauge Fowler instead. I figure that my money will be better spent on a known American product!

You made the RIGHT choice.

Dave Stavlo at Lodgewood is unimpressed with the Traditions 1842s. He says the quality is not good.

I'm thinking now I might want to do this buck 'n ball experiment with my .58 caliber smoothbore Kibler Colonial. Any suggestions on the best buckshot size to use with .58 cal roundball? The roundballs I have are .570.

Remembering I'm a total buckshot ignoramus? Thanks ....

Buck & ball

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240728_151120_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20240728_151120_Samsung Notes.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 0
Back