• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

72 caliber roundball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
72 Cal. said:
That is excellent! could you give me some details like did the ball exit, where did you hit it, how far did it run etc. I always like to here about the effect a large roundball has on very large game.

Pass through, breaking ribs going in and going out. Buffalo are lethargic when shot, mine didn't move, just stood there until about bled out. Two shots, one through the center of the lungs, just behind the shoulder, second was spine shot, to put her down. Neither ball was recovered. Exit wounds were the diameter of a good size fist. Both shots were a measured 100 yards, measured with a range finder. Two year old cow buffalo.

Many have tried larger powder charges, and have used slugs rather than balls. I settled on this load for its accuracy. The Kodiak has express sights. This load puts both barrels on the money for the rear sight set for 50 yards, the front sight set for 100 yards. Regulation is excellent, as 50 yard holes intersect, 100 yards two inches between holes.

I have never tried a lead sled. That sounds like a real advantage when working up a good accurate hunting load. Thanks for the great suggestion!

Thanks for the info. I have always liked an exit hole on big animals and I think you have proved that it really doesn't take a lot of powder in the big bores to make pass thru's. The extra velocity only flattens the trajectory a little more and maybe not enough to justify the extra recoil associated with it. I do like the little flatter trajectory, so I'll just have to do some experimenting on my own to see where the most accurate load is when I get the rifle built. Thanks again.

Kent.

An alternative is to get the rests on your bench elevated to the point you're sitting fully upright.

You'll be amazed how much less a boomer kicks if you simply sit upright rather than lay down on top of it on the bench. Okay, one modern reference- Howz my 7.5# carry gun, a 375 H&H with 300 grain slugs, sit with your idea of recoil? :rotf:

My big issue with the lead sled fad is the preponderance of my guns changing POI between the sled and the shoulder. I figure if I'm not putting a sling on the sled and packing it into the field with me, there's no sense sighting in a gun or testing loads with it.

I recently launched twenty 600 grain conicals (on top of 110 grains of 2f) downrange with a lightweight 58. No bruising and no pain, even if my upper body was sure moving around. If your upper body can't move back with the recoil, of course you're gonna get the snot slapped out of you.

Yea! I understand the recoil of the big high powered rifles. I shot a 375 Ackley Improved with 300 grain bullets for quite awhile, along with a 340 Weatherby and several other big guns. So I am familiar with recoil. I also shoot off the bench the way you discribed. That may be the reason I have never tried a lead slead. I have used a P.A.S.T. Recoil shield a few times and that workes really well. There is really no sense in beating yourself up at the bench. That is why I only spend just enough time there to find the most accurate load and then its out to the field to practice before I ever hunt an animal.

Of course point of impact is going to be different between a sled and shoulder firing. I use a sled for load development. It takes a lot of firing to figure out what your gun likes. You shoot for consistent velocities and groups and once you find the right recipe in the sled you can transition to shoulder firing and dial your sights/optics in a few shots. And if you just like to shoot flat out brutal loads you can do it all day in a sled. Did I mention I like my sled? :grin:

One better use some common sense when using these lead sleds. The ones I've seen have a trap to hold the butt and do not allow the gun to move back during recoil if weighted down.

Just before the past Spring's turkey season a neighbor of mine, who is a builder of high repute, delivered a 10 ga. fowler to a customer. The customer was back a couple days later with the gun broke through the wrist....a wrist that had been layed out for perfect grain flow.

An avid turkey hunter, he loaded his new fowler with what would be the black powder equivilent to a magnum turkey load in his modern shotgun. He placed it in a weighted lead sled and place sand bags on top. :shake:

A gun should be allowed move in recoil. If it isn't all the force is absorbed by the gun. In this case the slender wrist of this fowler broke as it was the gun's weakest point.

It didn't even occur to him that it was his doing that caused it until this was explained to him. Enjoy, J.D.

I wonder why just about every time I decide to add my two cents worth, you beat me to the punch?

I was just about to mention that these slender stocked longrifles and shotguns have weak wrists and they aren't designed to have the butt placed against heavy solid things like lead sleds.

Perhaps the Hawken and other thick stocked plains rifles styles are less likely to break but cracked stocks are even seen on them.

Zonie said:
I wonder why just about every time I decide to add my two cents worth, you beat me to the punch?

Great minds...??? :idunno:.................................. :grin: :hatsoff: Good night Zonie.....and Enjoy, J.D.

I'll say it again just to be clear, I don't use the sled for muzzleloaders because frankly they don't kick enough to need it at any sane load. At least not my .54's. Just thought I'd throw the idea out there for the fellers chunkin' punkins. But thanks for the heads up!

I can't handle anything bigger than a .30/06 due to shoulder issues. I can shoot my .72 Pedersoli Gibbs All Day with 120-140gr of FF. 1F is even softer shooting. All it takes is a good stock design. My 16-bore Christian Springs will get your attention with a charge of 150gr of FF, but it is not bad if you sit up at the bench.

Back