• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

777 ffg & goex ffg charge diff

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hocuspocus

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Using 80 grains of goex ffg in the PH 58 musketoon now with a 577611 minie. Just wondering should I switch to 777 ffg do all charge weights stay the same or is there more umph there?

hocuspocus said:
Using 80 grains of goex ffg in the PH 58 musketoon now with a 577611 minie. Just wondering should I switch to 777 ffg do all charge weights stay the same or is there more umph there?
Never heard of anybody switching FROM real Goex blackpowder TO a modern BP substitute...it's always the other way :grin: ...can't you just bump up the Goex charge?

So do I disifer from that that 777 has more umph thus requiring less? Anyone know at what ratio?

hocuspocus said:
So do I disifer from that that 777 has more umph thus requiring less? Anyone know at what ratio?
I don't happen to know but I'd be surprised if the 777 literature doesn't mention it...you could go to Hodgdon's website, and/or Google up Hodgdon 777

I kind of get confused after a while. I have tried 777 with RB and 425 grain Maxis. Worked out ok but did not like the feel of the rifle with the new powder.

The feel of the rifle when fired seemed more modern like. A sharper kick rather than a slow push. Add to this a slower ignition or delay in click/boom.

As to speed your guess is as good. I understand that real BP is 10 to 15 % faster than pyrodex in a 50 ca rifle with a 175 grain RB.

When 777 first came out
And in the advertising 777 is 10 to 15% faster than something but they did not say what. So I am at a loss is 777 as fast as BP or faster I could not figure it out.

After a while I realized that it did not matter. This is more about marketing HYPE rather than shooting.

The best thing you could do if you must shoot 777 is stop worrying over it and just find a load your gun likes. And remember whatever the theory and percentages you still have to try it in your ML to see if it will work.

But I do believe that Real BP will be more forgiving, accurate, not as hard on the shoulder and with 2F not as harsh on the bullets you shoot or the lube and patches.

Added to that since we are talking primitave arms ignition will be way faster with Real BP over any of the subs.

Ive got this one bottle of the stuff Ive had since it came out, I was trying the shoots cleaner part out, this was when it came out long ago but I still try it in any rifle or hand gun I may get -if they are'nt hi buck things. Drop your load about ..10 to 15% to start and you should be right on. The only real reason to rab that is BP is getting hard to find, like drive 100 miles 1 way to pick up mine. Fred :hatsoff:

I know you live in Canada, but I also know there are Black Powder distributors and outlets in your country. I can't imagine why you would want to fiddle around with any substitute powder, paying twice what it costs to buy black powder, and knowing that it degrades when exposed to air. If you don't do a lot of shooting, an can partially used, a year later will show a measureable decrease in power, requiring you to adjust your load again. Black powder stays the same regardless of length of time. Yes, 777 burns faster, and at a higher flashpoint. That means its harder to ignite, than Black powder, but give more velocity for a lesser amount. It seems to work okay with the new zip guns, shooting plastic wrapped, copper jacketed pistol bullets, because there is enough mass, and inertia caused by the friction between the barrel and the plastic sabot, to make the stuff burn completely. But you get much higher chamber pressure in return. Nothing is free. There are no new " Wheels" to invent. Stop trying, and don't get sucked in by advertising by people who want you to believe they have invented a new wheel.

I have no exp. with 777, but I get more CONSISTENT results from Goex as compared to pyrodex, this was proven on a chronograph. The goex shot to shot was very close in velocity with some(very little)deviation. The pyro was on some shots, 100-200 fps variation between shots. With the higher flashpoint, I can see igniton problems, and also cant the results being much dif, from one sub to another. BP is available here,though as exp as the subs. SOOO I just order mine by the case or two, and get it way cheaper that way, about 10.50 # shipped.

Locate and try a pound of Swiss or even Goex Express for that matter. Last time I did a comparison over a graph, both of these produced higher velocities in my gun than did the 777.

Latest posts

Back