• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

8 oz Canvas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boudreaux

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does any one use 8 oz canvas for patches? I just got my new 50cal flinter and the guy that made it for me gave me a little bit and said it was 8 oz canvas shooting a 490 round ball. Looked through all the pages it would let me on here and didn't see anything about it. Anybody?

Thanks
Boswell

Can you measure the thickness with a micrometer? Have you tried that combination, is it easy to shove the ball down? Is it tight? If this is new, i would try .490 and .495 balls. Try .015 and .020 patches. See where the loading gets difficult. That's just the patch and ball combo for starters! If you can measure what he gave you and you don't have to pound the ball to load, you'll have a better idea of where to start as far as patch thickness. I was thinking 8oz canvas was for tents, and pretty thick, but my thinker don't work so good sometimes (most times).

steve

Unfortunatly there's several different kinds of "canvas". Extra strand canvas duck, marine canvas, painters drop cloth canvas.

I guess I've always felt that canvas is kind of abrasive and haven't used true canvas for patch. There's just plain too many other suitable, readily available, fabrics too choose from,, :idunno:

Do a little searching and you'll find dozens of fabrics mentioned.

I Micro'ed it at 0.022 to 0.023 on average(50+ measurements). It seems to me as if it is fairly hard to load. I have only loaded a few before this one, but this one is tighter than the others. It seems to shoot really well with this combo, Shot a 5 shoot group at 100 all with in a softball. So I don't really want to change nothing. Just didn't know where to get 8oz, but now that I mic'ed it I am off to Hobby Lobby tomorrow with the mic and see what I can find.

Thanks
Boswell

I buy cotton denim from wally world... Runs about 22 thous.. Works great in my .54 flinter

Now the real question for cutting at the barrel how wide to I need to make the strips for a 50cal?

thanks
Boswell

Boudreaux said:
Now the real question for cutting at the barrel how wide to I need to make the strips for a 50cal?

thanks
Boswell

Doesn't matter. Seat the ball a bit then cut. You will use only what is needed. But, if you get a bunch over the ball it is unimportant. The extra does not intefere with the flight of the ball. After just a few you will be an expert. FWIW, I rip my strips about 1 1/2" wide but it is not critical, just convenient.

Back