• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A 2014 To Do List

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
While watching the snow dusting down last night I starting making plans on what to do this year with my collection of recycled, repaired and reworked pieces of TC Renegades aptly christened Ol' Ugly. The new rifling is not too deep and semi-round bottom with trapezoidal sloping sides.
Gonna be having some kinda fun with this.

Install sights with finer accuracy potential. Bead front or use the old globe? Peep rear.
Should build new peep and mount with the previously drilled scope mount holes?

RCBS minie with adjustable length
Find the longest length that will stabilize with 50 grains Jacks Battle.

RCBS minie with adjustable length
Determine if a flat base adjustable plug may be worth trying.

TC Maxihunter
Determine the lowest powder charge that will stabilize the bullet and expand it to the rifling. Use adequate card wads as to avoid gas cutting.

TC Maxihunter
Determine a high powered hunting load. Note: Maximum charge in TC manual for 530-540 grain bullet is 120 grains FFg.

TC Maxihunter
Determine the accuracy potential, the most accurate load.

Round Ball (approx 230 grains)
Determine small charge target load.

Determine accuracy potential with maximum loads.

Determine loading potential of double ball loading using the weight of two balls compared to maximum allowable charges with heavy bullets. Note: Maximum charge in TC manual for 530-540 grain bullet is 120 grains FFg.

Lee REAL
Determine loading and accuracy potential for hunting.
Examine the use of over powder wads as well as thin greased cloth patch on the rear band.
Note: Maximum charge in TC manual for 530-540 grain bullet is 120 grains FFg.

Lyman .54 thick skirt minie
Try out for maximum loads with Jacks Battle and FFg.

Try out with paper patch and sized to fit bore.

Check to see if the cavity size should be reduced or eliminated.

GoodCheer said:
TC Maxihunter
Determine the lowest powder charge that will stabilize the bullet and expand it to the rifling. Use adequate card wads as to avoid gas cutting.

If you expect the bullet to expand into the rifling, the use of an OP card will tend to keep the bullet from expanding. That is why you never use an OP wad with a Mini ball. I know the T/C Maxihunter is not a mini ball but still, an OP card will have a negative effect on any possible expansion.

Plotted on a vertical tube hooked up to a garden hose to blast the breech area and wash out the barrel but never carried through with it. Is that kinda what you're working at?

What I have now is a pump up garden sprayer with a long piece of copper tubing that reaches the breech plug. Set up the rifle on a table with the muzzle down about 5 degrees. A drop of dish soap & warm water will blast out all the fouling in seconds and the water runs out the muzzle. I saw on one of Pedersoli's dvd's a steam cleaner that they use for cleaning after test firing and it took about half the time and the barrel & lock was spotless.

Of course after flushing the barrel a couple of dry patches, then patch with WD40 and oil well.

Take my youngest hunting (he is 24 & always liked shooting but no interest in hunting until this last year).

Hunt White Tail (never done that)

and Maybe change jobs, The Wife says she wants me around more :youcrazy:

Back