• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Should I or should I not?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I acquired a Colt 1860 Army today. Now when I say Colt, I mean a reproduction gun made by Uberti for Colt that is a faithful reproduction. No proof marks or advisories stamped all over it. Never fired, matching serials, still in original wrapping and original oil that has become goo. As an aside, I didn't know the originals had steel back straps until today.
Anyway, I am torn between making it a safe queen or actually shooting it. Seriously I don't know what to do. If I shoot it I figure it will loose a hundred or so dollars in value.
Seriously, what would you do and why?

@Flintlock Whiskey this was discussed recently in the General forum under Do you actually use your expensive guns ...? Consensus of opinion was yes and no 😄 with more on the yes side. My opinion is that there isn't a right or a wrong answer. Personally, I have one pair of caplock derringers, in a beautiful boxed set, with all accoutrements, that I can't yet bring myself to shoot as they remain unfired since made in the 1980's. Maybe someday, but not today. The bell can't be unrung. While they aren't original Deringer pistols, thus far I appreciate them as examples of the gun makers art. I know this probably won't help you, but don't rush your decision.

@Flintlock Whiskey this was discussed recently in the General forum under Do you actually use your expensive guns ...? Consensus of opinion was yes and no 😄 with more on the yes side. My opinion is that there isn't a right or a wrong answer. Personally, I have one pair of caplock derringers, in a beautiful boxed set, with all accoutrements, that I can't yet bring myself to shoot as they remain unfired since made in the 1980's. Maybe someday, but not today. The bell can't be unrung. While they aren't original Deringer pistols, thus far I appreciate them as examples of the gun makers art. I know this probably won't help you, but don't rush your decision.
Actually, your saying to don't rush it resonates with me, thanks.

In just the few replies I've received I'm leaning towards shooting it. I'd hate for my last thought as I take my last breath to be "dang! Shoulda shot it!" And the rest of the other things like telling my wife this, that and the other thing....

Back