• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A couple new/old Rusty/Crustys

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

church son

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been reading a long time here, the talent is a little intimidating, but, this is some of what I do; (click to enlarge)

These two came to me via a bucket of rusty knife looking objects back in the summer and I set them aside waiting on shorter days. I was determined not to sit around this winter watching TV wishing I had something knife oriented to do at night after work, so this has been a way to bring a little of my "forging" inside. I re handled with oak and added some poured bolsters and rawhide wraps.The sheaths were inspired by originals from late 19th century but using recycled materials such as leather from an old rifle scabbard, some brain tanned scraps and beads from a box of traded for craft show stuff.

These are both long knives with big sheaths, for comparison the “TaTanka”(thanks to my lovely bride for the use of her ’60”²s era Breyer Buffalo) is 14”³ long x 8”³ tall. Both were finished with dirt, grease, home brew stain and varnish.These are the first knives I have "remodeled" and it has been a lot of fun, also restoring a 1870 double barrel smoothbore this winter that has been in my family for 80 yrs.
Beats watching TV, Thanks for lookin'...................Randy

Great looking work Randy. I really enjoyed looking at your bead work, it is very well done.
Take that winter :hatsoff: :hatsoff:
Ron

Nice looking work :thumbsup:
I agree with ya 100%. Having something to do with your hands beats sittin around watching the tube anyday.

Thanks for all the kind words Gentlemen, I have spent enjoyable hours reading your very informative posts, look forward to more......Randy

Great looking knife and a beautiful sheath.
Very nice work. :hatsoff: :bow: :hatsoff:

Mr. Brimes, you can have this knife and hand full more- I got them laying around everywhere, Mama says Knife Yard Sale. The beading technique is Lazy stitch and Cheyenne, the difference is lazy goes back in the leather at the end of each lane, Cheyenne stitch connects the lane into the previous one- makes it lay flatter. Thanks for all the kind remarks Gentlemen, good to hear from you James.......Randy

ChurchandSon

Apprenticing? Unfortunately no Mr. Pierce, but I am a huge fan, he is a true artist.......Randy

Thank you Sir, I have many more projects underway if you don't mind looking. While I'm here, I didn't read all the rules about posting something that is currently for sale. I had and have no intention of capitalizing on this site. Although everything I make is for sale, I trade or give away many more than are sold. I build Trade Show Exhibits for a living . It is a time sensitive, chaotic, stressful business that I love and making period cutlery is my hobby, but I tend to treat my hobby like my job - wide open- so I have dozens of knifes and sheaths laying around everywhere. Selling or trading for materials simply means my hobby doesn't come out of house money.
AND this site is intimidating, the talent is top shelf and I am humbled to be here. It is the best and most informative period site on the internet..So if I have bent the rules, I apologize.....Randy "Preacher" Church

Back