• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A few French Guns at the Western Nationals

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Bill Newton, a retired gentleman who hasbeen into muzzleloading for years, written several books and is presently into re-enacting in the French Fur Trade era was at the Western Nationals again this year and was showing me a few of his guns.
Not just guns, original (for the most part) guns. I thought you might like to see a few pictures I took while talking to him.
benaverys6.jpg

The upper is a French fusil, the lower is a Trade gun.

We didn't discuss the fusil so I can't give much in the way of it's features or history.

I believe he said the lower gun was found in Wyoming of all places.
There was very little left of the stock, but the iron pieces had stood the test of time. He bought it off of a couple of kids who found it out in the wilderness for $5.00 a number of years ago.

Because the metal pieces were still in relatively good condition, he decided to restock it.
He said he mentioned his gun to an expert and after looking at the hardware, the expert dated it to about 1770.
Although the gun is unshootable because of the condition of the thin barrel, Bill is justifiably proud of his gun.

benaverys7.jpg

Bill also had these two French pistols on display.
Truly interesting pieces. :)

zonie,why would you be surpized that a french trade gun was found in Wyoming? The french were very active here. The
gun was most likley found in the big horn range. This response is a little late as I was shooting in Az. this
winter.

Redwing :thumbsup:

Hate to burst the bubble but gun #2 (the restock) was an English trade gun... Not at all unusual to find the parts in Wyoming, the English guns were fairly common in that part of the country.

Back