• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Few of My Latest Items

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fred woods

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I really enjoy making my own accouterments and it has been a long time since my last post so I thought I would post some of the things I’ve been making.
First are my first attempts at making my own powder horns. They are shown in the order I built them this past winter. I picked up a mini wood lathe to turn all of the base plugs and stoppers except for the first horn which was fitted to the natural horn shape. The second horn was my first try at a flat horn / flask. I turned the spout and stopper out of maple then filed the flats. The base plug is also maple. I am currently working on my first Buffalo horn. I also enjoy making my own leather items. The last two photos are of a small patch knife and neck sheath I put together. I found the blade in my parts drawer and made the grips and sheath.

horn1.jpg

horn2a.jpg
horn2b.jpg

horn3.jpg

horn4.jpg

0061.jpg
0062.jpg

Woody, turning the spout and stopper from wood is a great idea ... I hope you don't mind if I use it on my next horn (or, actually, the one after that).

Your work looks great: nice lines, very understated and elegant. Almost Bauhaus for rockbangers.

Again, well done!

Thanks everyone, like I said I really enjoy making these kind of things. MSW, I am going to try turning some things from bone and horn tip when I can locate some stock. The horn in the last horn photo is what caused me to try turning applied tips. It only has a tip depth of about 1 1/4" and is thin walled.

Back